Dan Schwent's Reviews > Fantastic Four, Volume 3

Sep 04, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: comics, 2012
Read from September 11 to 12, 2012

Reed Richards assembles promising young minds and forms the Future Foundation. The Human Torch takes Franklin and Leech shopping. The various versions of Nathaniel Richards, Reed's father, are hunting one another through the time stream until only one remains...

Hickman's guiding of Marvel's First Family continues. This time, he plays with B-list Fantastic Four foils like Arcade and Impossible Man. The formation of the Future Foundation sows the seeds for the Future Foundation's own title down the road, as well as giving The Thing something to look forward to every year.

By far, my favorite storyline in the collection was Nathaniel Richards snatching college-agedReed, Ben Grimm, and Victor Von Doom for a jaunt through time to combat another version of himself. Maybe it's because I've been watching a lot of Doctor Who lately but I really dug this story.

Still, it wasn't all peaches and gravy. Dale Eaglesham is gone, replaced by the not-quite-as-good Neil Edwards. Just as with the previous two volumes, it feels a lot more like setup than standalone tales. While I know Hickman's got something huge brewing, I don't know if I have the patience to stick around long enough to see it.

All that being said, I love the sheer amount of ideas Hickman is throwing at me. Even if the pace isn't as fast as I prefer, the man knows the Fantastic Four. 3 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fantastic Four, Volume 3.

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark 'Peaches and gravy' ?

remind me to bring the dessert if ever i get the honour of dining with you !!

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent Mark wrote: "'Peaches and gravy' ?

remind me to bring the dessert if ever i get the honour of dining with you !!"

Will do. I was planning on showing up at your house around dinner time one day looking forlorn and disheveled.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark I would welcome you with open arms my friend....well I suppose that might depend a little on the depths of aforesaid'dishevel'. lol

Ronyell Great review Dan! I'm hoping that this series gets better.

message 5: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent Me too. I like Hickman's ideas but the pace throws me off.

Ronyell Dan wrote: "Me too. I like Hickman's ideas but the pace throws me off."

I agree. That's why I was having trouble with the first few books in the Fantastic Four series because they start off so slow.