Susanne's Reviews > Born to Darkness

Born to Darkness by Suzanne Brockmann

Sep 04, 12

A typical Brockmann romantic suspense tale with a paranormal twist -- which is to say it's a fine thing to take along to the beach: some adrenaline, some requisite happy ending, but nothing too challenging. In fact, you may feel that you've read it all before (curious, isn't it, that her tales all have THREE intertwining romances?). I think the new twist is kind of clever: in some dreary unnamed future -- marked largely by economic troubles and lots of out-of-work folks -- good scientists research the abilities of human "greater-than's" who are able to access more innate brain-power than most of us. Makes for lots of good heroics. There are evil people manufacturing an addictive drug called Destiny as well, and a Navy SEAL (of course), and another same-sex romance in the mix, which I kind of like and which makes Brockmann more forward-thinking than some other writers.

There's still the endless internal analyzing ("He can't really love me, can he?") for which her characters are known, and this one's darker than her earlier books (the bad guys are really bad) but I'd recommend it as a beach read any day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Darkness.