Diane's Reviews > Stargirl

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Jan 22, 09

Read in November, 2008

Sweet, funny and poignant. The self-named Star Girl, is a magically unique young woman, who enters public school for the first time in her life at an Arizona high school. She is a blythe spirit, who strives to live as her authentic self, almost oblivious to the reactions of others to her unwillingness to conform and non-existent need for approval. She's never learned fear of rejection or the wrath of the "cool" kids. For a time she has such an effect on the student body, that they are almost transformed by her, until she commits and unforgivable faux pas -- offering "aid and comfort to the enemy". I would like to believe that such a person could survive public school in America, but the truth is she'd be eaten alive. But it is a lovely fairy tale. I'd read it again. I also found the sequel (Love, Stargirl) to be a must read... though only after reading Stargirl. See that review for more info.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stargirl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jorgina would you give a review as to why the 4 stars?

Diane Yeah, what your friend Stephanie said. Star Girl is right up your alley: home-schooled girl goes to public high school and remains her authentic self, regardless of others' reactions or consequences. And the sequel "Love, Star Girl" is also really good. Liked them both very much.

Jorgina Diane wrote: "Yeah, what your friend Stephanie said. Star Girl is right up your alley: home-schooled girl goes to public high school and remains her authentic self, regardless of others' reactions or consequence..."

thanks, that really helps, I have so little time to read what I have and want, that I don't have time to get to the new lit. Its great to get reviews so I avoid fluff and stuff/

Angel Arturo Yeah, sometimes the book broke through my Suspension of Belief due to the absurdness of some situations.

Diane Agreed, however, my daughter attends a charter high school where in kids like Star Girl do exist! It's a unique environment.

Angel Arturo Diane wrote: "Agreed, however, my daughter attends a charter high school where in kids like Star Girl do exist! It's a unique environment."

Really? That's so cool! Wish I could have seen or even lived in such an enviroment. I relate with Stargirl in that I also received the cold treatment and had to adapt. But if such a free to express yourself place exists then there's still hope in the world.