Kirsty (overflowing library)'s Reviews > Dinner with a Vampire

Dinner with a Vampire by Abigail Gibbs

Feb 11, 15

bookshelves: review-books, uk-author
Read from September 04 to 06, 2012

The Dark Heroine is an interesting read. It was a bit of a novel read for me as I just assumed it was a YA novel when it was pitched to me as that's what I read and review 98% of the time but it soon became clear that it definitely was not a YA read, not a problem as such just not what I was initally expecting. That said it definitely has cross over appeal especially when you consider the age of the author and I think a lot of older YA readers will enjoy it.

This vampire novel has its own spin on the whole vampire genre with its own ideas about the whole of vampires which I found really interesting. It is fast paced an explosive from day one and has a host of interesting characters that hooked me at the start. I enjoyed Violet's spirit and following her story as she got deeper and deeper into the vampire world.

That said there were a few things that irked me about the book and as it went they bothered me. Firstly I just did not get the relationship between Violet and Kasper at all he is this cold and arrogant blood-sucker who has a really nasty side to me yet violet ends up head over heels for him and gives up everything for him.
This left me with a really uncomfortable edge especially during the more intimate scenes where I actually felt a bit cringey.

The end of the book leaves the story wide open for the sequel and has set up loads of interesting ideas. A sequel that I certainly would consider reading to see what happens next.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dinner with a Vampire.