Rai's Reviews > Excavation

Excavation by James Rollins

Dec 22, 2008

Read in July, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Excavation.

06/22/2009 page 204
49.04% "Love it!!"
06/24/2009 page 253
60.82% "Wow, the concept of this story is incredible!"
06/25/2009 page 300
72.12% "Hugely addictive book!"
06/28/2009 page 358
86.06% "Can't put it down, don't want it to end!" 6 comments

message 1: by Randy (new) - added it

Randy Yes, I loved this one as well. I first encountered Rollins while working at a Waldenbooks. An ARC came into the store of Subterranean which I jumped on and loved. Been a fan ever since.

message 2: by Rai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rai Cool! I haven't read Subterranean yet, but will soon. I get addicted to his stories, they are so loaded with action & intrigue & fascinating concepts, I just don't want them to end. I'm curious as to which is his first book, I have them all, so I'll check out the copyright dates.

Parts of Excavation remind me a lot of Sandstorm, which I also loved.

message 3: by Randy (last edited Jun 24, 2009 08:46AM) (new) - added it

Randy Subterranean was his first novels as James Rollins. He'd already had two, I believe it was, fantasies under the Clemens name.

message 4: by Rai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rai Ahhh, well then I am definitely reading that one next. I am curious to see how his storytelling evolved, though I am finding all of his books very, very strong & consistent in research, writing, characters, story concepts...

Have you ever met him? He seems really nice. He is one of my followers on Twitter (started following me less than 24 hours after I signed up), and invited me as a Facebook & MySpace friend, I nearly fell off my chair, I am such a big fan of his books. I would love to go to one of his book signings one day.

message 5: by Randy (new) - added it

Randy No , never met him. I live in a small town in a Northern Carolina county, far from autograph tours that come through the state.

message 6: by Rai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rai I'm in Canada, so also a little remote ;)

message 7: by Randy (new) - added it

Randy Here's an amusing thought I had once. At the time Subterranean came out, Matthew Reilly published a novel called Ice Station. Both were set in Antarctica and featured an underground "lost" civilization.
At the time Excavation came out, Reilly published a novel called Temple. Both dealt with jungles, Incas, and a mystery.
I briefly wondered if they were competing or something.
If you haven't read Reilly, you might be interested. His books are unrelenting action on top of action, though I warn you he is an acquired taste. I've recommended him before to friends only to be told "This guy sucks!"

message 8: by Rai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rai That's funny! I actually have Matthew's books, Ice Limit, Contest, Seven Deadly Wonders & Temple, but I haven't read them yet. I've heard mixed reviews on his books, too, but these novels sound right up my alley. I buy books at about 100 times the rate I can read them, and if something appeals to me, I don't let negative reviews scare me off, I grab it!

I may have mentioned this before in our earlier convos, but have you also read Dan Brown's Deception Point? I absolutely loved that book. I also have a bunch of Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child books, their stories are also right up my alley...

I am looking forward to reading Matthew's books, thanks for sharing your thoughts on them :)

message 9: by Randy (new) - added it

Randy Not a big Dan Brown fan. I read his four novels out of order(4,2,3,1) and as I was finishing the third, I realized I'd already read this before, twice. When I started his first novel, I determined who the villain driving the action was on about page twenty. Lo and behold, I was right.
Here's the plot of all four novels. A hero or heroine(or both) is on the run looking for some great secret. He/she/they are pursued by a hired killer with some sort of disability.
The villain will turn out to be the good guy/father figure trying to help our heroes all through the book. The only variation is that in two of them, that figure disappears halfway through the book, presumed killed, only to reappear at the end for the final showdown.
He's done that four times. I've no reason to figure anything will be different in the forthcoming book.

message 10: by Randy (new) - added it

Randy I forgot to mention. the latest Preston/Child collaboration, Cemetery Dance, I loved. It was a big step up from The Wheel of Darkness, their worst book for me.

message 11: by Rai (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rai Thanks for mentioning Cemetery Dance, I don't think I have that one yet. I checked it out in the bookstore, but I'm going to wait until its in paperback. I have The Wheel of Darkness, but haven't read it yet. So many books, so little time! I look forward though every day to getting lost in the pages of a great adventure :)

Have you read Will Adams, Tom Harper, David Gibbins or Tom Martin? I have some of their books in my bookshelves waiting to be read. I also want to pick up all the Michael Asher books, need a part-time job just for my book habit!

I've also fallen behind in writing my book reviews, I don't want to pause to do it, because I am so eager for the next book, but writing the reviews is a great exercise in really understanding what it was about a book I liked/thought could be improved, and just being clear on the overall story & what it offered.