Leslie's Reviews > If You Give a Mouse a Cookie

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff

Sep 04, 12

This book is absolutely wonderful. Even today as an adult I love it. This book is great for many reasons. First off it is adorable! Feeding a mouse a cookie? That doesn't really happen (because it would be disgusting), but if this was really what mice really looked liked and behaved like, it would be a common thing. I love the idea of opening up a kids imagination. Numeroff does it right in the title "If you give a mouse a cookie". Automatically a child starts to think "Yeah..What would happen?".
The second reason that I love this book is because of the way you can involve young children with the book. "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" is a wonderful way to start teaching children how to make predictions. What do you think will happen if you give a mouse a cookie? And then asking them every few pages what they think will happen next. This would be great in a classroom as a group discussion.
Third, I love this book because it is so easy to involve the children with this book. In my personal experience children crack up when they hear what a mouse does because he received a cookie. The pictures are cute and vividly describes what this mouse might look like while preforming his activities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.