Max Magbee's Reviews > The Double Game

The Double Game by Dan Fesperman

Apr 24, 13

Read from September 03 to October 01, 2012

I was thinking the rating of this book would be more in the three-and-a-half star range. However, the fact that it was a spy novel that held my attention and wasn't so ridiculously complicated that I was forced to re-read pages, gave it that extra push into the four star range... that, and the fact that the site doesn't allow half-stars to be rated.
Anyway, this was a thoroughly engaging read and a genuine love letter, by author Dan Fesperman, to the spy novel. In fact, the novel is so chock-full of nods and references to other books of said genre, and is written with such endearing enthusiasm by the author, I almost felt the need to attempt to read a few again.
But the references aren't just there because the author felt like letting the reader know the breadth of his passion and knowledge on the subject. Past books and authors are woven into the story-line, and the lead character's knowledge helps move him through this intriguing little adventure.
It's a terrific tip-of-the-hat to a bygone genre style that does those books one better - it tells a story that is timeless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Double Game.

04/24/2013 marked as: read