Salwa's Reviews > Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells

Dec 22, 08

Read in December, 2008

Someone gave me this book many years ago. It sat on my shelf. I almost gave it to Housing Works in a sweep of books to donate, but saved it at the last minute. So, I decided to finally read it as a sort of guilty pleasure. Well, part of it actually surprised me in its sensitivity, true-to-life descriptions, and gripping story line. Unfortunately, that only made up half of the book---the half about the group of girls, the Ya-Yas growing up. The other half, about a daughter of one of the Ya-Yas, was annoying, badly written, sentimental, and by and large a distraction from the Ya-Ya story. I wish the editor could have cut out that modern-day mother-daughter story and left intact the history of four friends who shared their lives with each other. There was so much richness there, especially for anyone who has had true girlfriends, it's a shame. I'd almost suggest reading it and skipping over the mother-daughter part, but they aren't set up neatly as every-other-chapter flashbacks, so it's not that easy to do.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.