Graham's Reviews > ttyl

ttyl by Lauren Myracle

May 30, 13

bookshelves: friends-don-t-let-friends-read-this
Read in December, 2008

I really wanted to like this book because it was adapting IMing to the novel format, great idea -- poorly implemented. If the story is told purely by IMs then it has to be dialogue driven, instead this is an event driven plot. There is no character development in the dialogue, so we never witness the girls change we only hear about it second hand.

I gave it plus one star for sticking to pure IMs, but this is really a one star book.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read ttyl.

Laura ur a guy.... and not a teenager either.

message 2: by Graham (last edited Aug 05, 2010 03:33PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Graham Laura, true, I am male and true, I am no longer a teenageer. No doubt, that _TTYL_ was written directly to the teenage girl. I am assuming that you are a member of that gender and age-group. I am writing directly to you now; but notice I use correct structure and the best of my intelligence in the endeavor, to do any less would be to insult you as a person; and were I writing to all teenage girls –by abstraction, I am-- your group as whole. And, that is my gripe with TTYL; it hides behind a clever style that is loved by teenage girls, to wit: IMing, and insults them with second rate writing and inferior character development. You deserve better, Laura; your cohort deserves better. You and all teenage girls, or for that matter, any subset of readers need to be taken seriously and given the full concentration of the author. For instance, successful children’s' book authors take writing to children seriously, I cited Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel) and J.K. Rowling as examples. TTYL doesn't respect you. For that, I now regret giving it the bonus star: this is a one star book.

Laura Yeah I gues you are right about it lacking quality.
Well thanks for being nice. I think I may understand what you mean.