Malki's Reviews > Moloka'i

Moloka'i by Alan Brennert

F_50x66
Sep 03, 12

Recommended to Malki by: book club choice
Recommended for: people who like historical fiction, but softcore... not a lot of details
Read in September, 2012, read count: 1

As historical fiction goes the book did the trick. I definitely learned something about this island that I did not know before. In fact I never knew that an island like this even existed. The story gave a good account about a person and their life most of it spent on Molokai.
However, I did not love the book. I found it just went on and on... However, the point of the book was to document a land that people supposedly went to to die and in fact people lived... they lived like we do. They had families, they had fights they had deaths (not due to the disease) and that too could be enlightening. (of course the whole concept of this island was new to me, so the idea that they lived their lives to me, i guess was not such a stretch.) The disease was unknown so I guess it was plausible that fammilies of people that went to the island did not know what happened to them, there was no communication and I guess the world in terms of fear of the unknown was about the same then as it is now. If anyone in your family had leporsy, your whole family had it and communities shunned them... its sad, and unfortunately I guess things just dont change. When something or someone exhibits behavior or sickness that we dont understand, we are quick to shun them,and judge them. That I think should be a lesson from the book, we could learn from our past behavior to help make us (a group of people) more understanding, sympathetic and less judgemental, but i suppose its just human nature. There will always be people championing the cause, there will always be those that will help and do good because its the right thing to do and there will be those that will choose to be ignorant.
The story about the couragous young woman was definitely a great way to introduce this topic and this book and I guess the reader is left with as many questions as the girl.. although the auther does try and tie up all the loose ends throughout the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moloka'i.