Kevyn's Reviews > Being

Fiction
Hardcover: 0439899737
Paperback: 9780439903424
336 pages

Imagine spending months creating new identities for yourself, hiding from the FBI, living off fake credit cards and going by the name of someone who has been dead for years.

Being by Kevin Brooks beings with a typical 16 year old boy going to the hospital to get a routine examination. But this examination eventually turns into an adventure when the doctors find something inhuman inside him and begin to cut his body open without parental consent.

For Robert Smith, the past few months have been a dangerous roller coaster ride. Robert has been running from the police, stealing cars and killing people who know more about him than they should. He gets away with all of this while still coming across, with a new identity, as an innocent blonde haired 16 year old boy. You will be surprised at how well a 16 year old dark haired boy can disguise himself as an innocent blonde haired 16 year old boy. Being is an extraordinary book and it will have you glued on the first sentence. The character’s emotions are extremely real. As I was reading the book I kept forgetting that the main characters Robert and Eddie were not real people! I could just picture all of this actually happening in London, England were the book took place.

Kevin brooks describes the emotions and scenes very realistically. For example: “…BANG. Another shot. Flat and dull. Final.…I knew what it meant. The silence, the stillness…She was sitting on the floor with her legs buckled underneath her, leaning crookedly against the wall. Her hands were crossed over in her lap, her fingers curled like a sleeping child’s. Her eyes were open, staring blindly, and a thin trickle of blood was seeping from the bullet hole in her head.” If you have not already went to buy Being and you are still reading this review I’m sure you can already tell that this is an amazing book. Since there is some gruesome violence and graphic deaths in this book, I would recommend it for 13+ year olds. After you read this book, it will most definitely be one of your favorite books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being.

message 1: by Jin (new)

Jin This review is amazing! You described the characters very well. I like how you put an excerpt from the book to give me a little taste of the book. It sure did persuade me to read this, especially the hospital part, it made me want to find what it is about. Nice job!