Lydia Presley's Reviews > Redshirts

Redshirts by John Scalzi

Sep 03, 12

bookshelves: 2012, favorites, fiction, scifi, young-adult
Read in September, 2012

John Scalzi - you have captured my heart.

I've been a Star Trek fan since Star Trek: The Next Generation days. My dad was an original Star Trek fan before me. I remember gathering around the television, chowing down on a late night snack of my mom's homemade cinnamon rolls, and turning on the newest episode of TNG with anticipation making me shiver with excitement. My sisters and I would watch, and then animatedly discuss the show on commercial breaks with my parents. But honestly, I never noticed the Redshirt Syndrome (TM) until fairly recently.

So when I picked up Redshirts by John Scalzi, I was excited to see how he'd handle this.. well homage to what is arguably the best/worst sci-fi show that has been on television. And folks, let me tell you now... Scalzi blew it out of the water.

Seriously, I felt as if I was watching several episodes of my favorite show, and I laughed out loud, uncontrollably, at least once per chapter. I freaking love this book and will be pushing it onto all of my friends to read as soon as they are able to.

It doesn't matter if you are a Star Trek fan or not. Or even really if you like science fiction - because Scalzi takes a formula that is evident in any adventure/fantasy/science fiction/horror type of show and he plays on it so hard that you will find yourself gasping for air, just like I did.

Bravo, John, Bravo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redshirts.