Jen's Reviews > The Raven Boys

Sep 04, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: arc-s
Read from September 03 to 04, 2012

I did not enjoy this book like I expected to. I've read several other Maggie Stiefvater books, the most recent being, The Scorpio Races which is one of my favorites! This book was dark, heavy and less appealing to me but then again, I don't enjoy reading about mediums and witchcraft.

The body of the story seemed very wordy (for lack of a better term) and I often felt like I was reading an Alice Hoffman novel. The alternating POV's were confusing at times because I wasn't sure who was speaking, causing me to have go back and reread sections which is both time consuming and annoying.

The characters themselves weren't bad and I enjoyed their personalities, witty banter and sense of humors but that was about it. The plot didn't hold my interest and I don't really see the need to spread it out over several books.

Having said all of that, not every book will please every person and I'm OK with that. I've no doubt that The Raven Boys will have many fans but I'm just not one of them. (insert frowny face)
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raven Boys.

09/03/2012 page 54
14.0% "Please tell me this picks up b/c I'm fading fast."
09/03/2012 page 115
29.0% "Apparently, I am the only person on the planet that isn't loving this. Hate when that happens..."
show 2 hidden updates…

Nikki H Oh man that just made me nervous. I usually like the same books you like and this one I was willing to give up a limb for.... Hmmm we'll have to compare once I can get this book in my hands.

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen Don't be nervous! You might love it. I was surprised I didn't care for it. :{

Nikki H Finally broke down and bought it on my Nook... Will let you know how I feel about it once I finish it.

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen Nikki wrote: "Finally broke down and bought it on my Nook... Will let you know how I feel about it once I finish it."

OK! :D

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Baccellia Jen, once again we're in agreement.

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen Kim wrote: "Jen, once again we're in agreement."

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

message 8: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen Andrea wrote: "Jen thank you...it got too uncomfortable for me. I want confirmation I wasn't quitting too soon because the Scorpion Races is my favorite."