Christina (Reading Thru The Night)'s Reviews > The Little Stranger

1020619
Sep 30, 12

bookshelves: 2012, historical, mystery, readalong, spooky, suspense
Read from September 03 to 30, 2012

I signed up to read The Little Stranger for the readalong over at Estella's Society but then failed to actually complete it in a timely manner because various other obligations and enticements came my way (I'm specifically looking at my ipod and the audio deliciousness of Steven Weber).

Also, I should probably mention that this is my first Sarah Waters. I have had some of her books on my TBR shelves for a bit but I admit, I've been little weary on reading any. You see there is such a large Sarah Waters following out there in the interwebs that I was largely afraid that I would not get it and then have to pretend to get it like I was back in my college literature circles where we pretended to have read EVERYTHING EVER CREATED IN LITERATURE.

Why yes. I can be a wee bit dramatic.

What makes this book perfect and totally atmospheric for a Halloweeny Octoberish read? There's a haunted house. Well...at least, we're led to believe that there's a haunted house. That, or a family that's just good and nuts, which is equally as fantastic.

And let me back step just a bit. This house isn't JUST a house. It's an estate. It's ginormous. It's a legacy and has this ominous dark historical Importance. Dr. Faraday is our narrator and we see and feel the Hundreds Hall through his eyes (Its name, folks! I'm gonna name MY home too one day). He remembers when his mother used to work for the Ayres when he was a young boy. And even then he was infatuated with its brilliance.

Events bring Dr. Faraday back to the Hundreds and the Ayres world. And there's so much going on but not really, which sounds weird but it's true. Like, the plot sorta meanders which is why it took me so blasted long to finish the book...but it doesn't meander in a way that makes it boring. Instead, I feel like I'm watching the events unravel...or even better, like, this book should have been made into an Alfred Hitchcock film except you know, that's not possible, since we can't make AF films anymore. But still...it had that sort of presence.

Also, I adore that Dr. Faraday tries to be a scientific narrator, but actually ends up being quite enveloped in the craziness of the house while still claiming oh that can't happen.

Freakin' brilliant. I love this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Stranger.

09/03/2012 page 58
12.0% "Already lovin' the gothic setting."
09/12/2012 page 209
44.0% "Already lovin' the gothic setting."