Turtles's Reviews > This Case Is Gonna Kill Me

Sep 03, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy-modern
Read from September 06 to 08, 2012

It's hard to decide whether this book fit in as more of a mystery or an urban fantasy. The Mystery was much more prevalent and seemed to contain fantasy elements. But the action/violence and sexy bits are much more akin to an UF, so I'll shelve it there. I enjoyed the mystery very much, it kept growing and branching out as more tangents were discovered. I thought the author went a little too overboard in some of the side descriptions. I don't mind learning what the cat looked like but I got a little tired of the breakfast items, and what the occasional horse looked like (and did). The book summary led you to believe that her family was powerful and influencing somehow, perhaps even that something may be discovered in her physiology that is not-human. But there was very little of that, and she proved to be human throughout. Linnette was a normal girl who happened to be fostered in a vampire household. It made her face the world with a different view than if she was raised human, it also gave her an edge while working in a vampire operated law office. She works on an old probate case involving a long-dead man who'd left his harpy wife and kids after he was made into a werewolf, he later founded and built a great security company. The ex-wife wants the company and Linnette was assisting a long-suffering Lawyer at their company. Strange things start happening including an attack where the Lawyer is killed, so she must undertake the case. She is later assisted by an Elf, who the next book will probably will be about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Case Is Gonna Kill Me.

09/06/2012 page 153
47.0% "Not so UF, way more Mystery"