Brian's Reviews > Fire

Fire by William Esmont

Sep 03, 2012

Read in August, 2012

This book was a quick read... I finished it in a little over a day (while on vacation). It's well written, with the author having a flowing and easy to read writing style.

The set up... With characters being introduced in their own sections and the book jumping btwn them at first is effective but then becomes sort of annoying as I was not tied into the character yet... So when the story jumps away and then back I didn't recall the characters details immediately. There also seems to be a lot of set up without a lot of insight into the characters... You dont get attatched to them.

There seemed to be too much time devoted to background characters who play a small role in where the story is going... I assume this was done to make a point as story lines develop an elicit emotion from the reader.... But it's ineffective... There isn't much of a connection with characters so when the story progresses your just a bystander watching vs a concerned participant.

The story also was short... Really short...and seemed to be written to set up a sequel or series vs to tell a story. I have a hard time with a series that's first volume is 150 pages. My suggestion would be to add more content to this volume so that readers are more engaged and therefore likely to buy the second book. As it stands now I'm curios about what happens next... But not dying to know. Maybe as the story progresses in the next book that will change.

Another issue is that I think i see where the storyline is going... Setting up a struggle btwn 2 sets of survivors... One good, one evil or dark... All the while both sides struggling to survive the zombie outbreak... Reminding me of dies the fire and other books where someone was focused on building an empire after society collapses.

Finally-IMO the storyline was cheapened to b movie status when a dismembered arm "ran" and grabbed someone and scrambled up their leg... Arms+hands have no eyes... How would they "know" which way to scramble to move up someone's leg? A minor passage in the book but one that stuck with me ... Leaving a bad taste and detracting from a story that up to that point was moving along well.

Overall the writing is good, but the execution of the character development could be improved to better engage the reader in the story and build momentum for the second book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire.