Kelly's Reviews > The Longest Way Home: One Man's Quest for the Courage to Settle Down

The Longest Way Home by Andrew McCarthy

Apr 12, 2016

bookshelves: first-reads, 2012, memoirs
Read from October 09 to 10, 2012

This isn't a shallow, ego-stroking celebrity memoir. Instead, it's a thoughtful rumination from an introverted psuedo-loner integrated among descriptions of the faraway places many dream of visiting. Perhaps I liked this more than most because I can relate to McCarthy's habits of withdrawing in the face of large crowds, wondering if he can build a life with someone who requires family and friends and togetherness in order to thrive. The book is grounded in his thoughts on marriage to his long-time partner, but shines equally when talking about his distant-but-amiable relationship with his father and his life with his in-laws. These things weigh on his mind as he takes us to Patagonia, Costa Rica, Kilimanjaro, Vienna, and...Baltimore. He writes descriptively but sparingly, and does a nice job creating a visual of these distant places. Overall, I would recommend this quick read. It certainly has me looking into more travel pieces by the author. Thanks again, First Reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Longest Way Home.