Leigh Hunt's Reviews > Betwixt

Betwixt by Melissa Pearl

May 20, 13

bookshelves: 2012, fantasy, romance, young-adult, five-star-review
Read in August, 2012

What a fantastic story. I was impressed from the outset of this book with the characterisations that Melissa Pearl weaves.

While Nicole starts out as rather self-centred (as most teenagers are!), and she develops into something completely different, discovering so much about herself, and her so called friends around her. It's a great realisation for a teenager. The world is not all about them, and sometimes there is something more going on. Nicole is far from perfect - and this is one of the story drivers.
The reader really does wonder if Nicole will actually get her head together.

And as for Dale - he is not your usual `YA Read Pretty-Boy'. But he does have a seriously loveable personality, which one cannot help but become attune to. Dale is a recluse - and he doesn't want any drama in his life. Initially I felt sorry for him being entangled with Nicole to begin with, because she is very dramatic - but then as their friendship grows, the situations becomes more dire by the hour. In the end, it's a lovely bond they develop.

I actually couldn't stop reading this book. With a compelling plot, and well written prose, it's an absolute must-read for anyone who loves YA with a bit of a twist.

This is a five-star read, and I seriously can't wait to see more of Melissa Pearl's work. It just gets better and better!
Life is never as it seems - even when you're dying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betwixt.