Jess's Reviews > Rescue My Heart

bookshelves: contemporary, for_review
Read from September 03 to 04, 2012

Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: B+

“Want to know what I think?”

“No.”

She added obnoxious to his [Adam] list of faults. “I think beneath that badass layer of testosterone and Neanderthal tendencies, you’re just a big old softie.”

He slid her a patented steely look. “Testosterone and Neanderthal tendencies?”

She shrugged and reached for her water. “If the shoe fits…”

He shook his head, but his eyes might have gleamed with the slightest bit of amusement as he did. “There’s a fault with your logic.”

“Yeah? What’s that?”

“I’m not soft. Anywhere.”

Adam and Holly had young love, especially on Holly’s part, but Adam was a trouble maker. He was constantly straying down the wrong path and one night of racing caused a man to lose his life. Holly’s dad, who always tried to help Adam, gave him a push toward enlisting and he did. He needed the discipline, the order and he didn’t want Holly to wait for him so he cut things off with her, breaking her heart. Holly went on to marry the wrong man and instead of admitting to her dad and brother that they were right about her bad choice for a husband, she remained separated from him for years and only recently filed for divorce before moving back home to continue her work for her father’s company. Adam’s back too, but he’s working through his own demons after losing half his team in an ambush on a mission. He’s now back home working for search and rescue, focusing on the planning part of the rescue not the actual searching, and trying to move on with his life.

When Holly’s dad goes missing on a hike, she asks the one man she knows can find him to help, Adam. Holly has a lot of hurt to work through, as she’s still angry about how Adam treated her and their relationship so many years ago. Adam doesn’t want anything to do with love or relationships, preferring to keep company with his dog Milo and tolerates his brothers and their significant others interference in his life. He’s not living, he’s lost in the past and closed off to any possibility of love, especially love with Holly, even though she’s the one woman he’s never been able to forget.

Jill Shalvis writes characters that I like, so much. Their humor, the relationship they have with their friends and family, the romance between the hero and heroine, it makes the characters, in this case Adam and Holly, so likable. It’s easy to sympathize with Adam, he’s doing what he can, but still has moments that flash him back to the day his team lost their lives. He has a deep fear of caves and while he’s been able to work through his nightmares, they still get him sometimes. His brothers help him out of the darkness and he surrounds himself with animals, Milo especially, who’s always there by Adam’s side. I loved seeing Holly shake this man’s life up. He’s needs it and she needs him in hers.

I found Holly to be charming. She’s funny, determined and once she makes the decision to stop letting other people decide things that impact her life, she goes after what she wants. She knows she loves Adam, she’s fairly certain he loves her too and she doesn’t let him push her away. I liked her for standing up to Adam, for not backing down and for slowly breaking down all his walls. They’re a sexy couple and they had a great mix of back and forth banter and some incredibly sexy scenes.

The light hearted humor and sarcasm that Shalvis writes so well, is present in Rescue My Heart and I love that balance of romance and humor that she brings to the table every, single time. The characters all have their moments of laugh out loud comments or actions, even the animals all have their own personalities brought to life on page. One of the funniest characters we’re introduced to is Holly’s best friend Kate, who has a major crush on Holly’s brother Griffin. Kate is a very sweet grade school teacher who starts spouting off random scientific facts when she’s flustered, which is almost always when she’s talking to men. I love this woman already and she’s on page for a very short amount of time. Between Kate, Dell and Brady (who delight in giving Adam a hard time), Jade and all the animals, the result is a mix of fun characters who made me laugh and added an extra level of enjoyment.

Shalvis just does contemporary romances right. Adam and Holly give us another sweet, tender and very hot story with just the right amount of humor tossed in. I love seeing an alpha male like Adam deny that he needs or wants love, only to fall hard when the right woman comes along and Holly made sure he did.
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rescue My Heart.