Faizah Roslaini's Reviews > The White Tiger

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

Feb 02, 09

bookshelves: read-2009, current-issues, funny, politics, favorites
Read in February, 2009

It's amazing how satisfying this little book is for me, literally speaking. I was discouraged at the beginning because frankly the letter-writing style did not appeal much to my taste as it gave the impression that the whole reading would be 'quiet' (like Robin put it in one of her reviews). However as the reading progressed I was so mesmerized in it that my distaste was entirely forgotten. The writer did a really good job telling a story.

Balram tells a tale of rotten, backstreet India whereby:

- the holy river Ganga is filled with all sorts of filth, from floating feces to rotting corpses.
- a society is so corrupted at all levels.‘Brown envelopes’ are handy.
- the rich grows richer by feeding on the poor.
- the poor remains poor by continuing a tradition of servitude to a master or other low-paying jobs to provide for the family, abandoning education and thus, the chance to liberate.

The book for me is satirical, savage, wicked, witty, and funny but at the same time an eye opener. I did have to certain extend an awareness of how difficult life is in this particular part of the world but the book had shed a new light through its detail that my respect towards the working class Indians who had gone through such hardships, waiters in mamak stalls included, has gone up into a new level. For I know that if I was born into their shoes I could never have survive.

On a slight contradiction you might say, you cannot tell if this is really India or not just by reading a book. So, my guess is as good as yours.

To end, I’d like to quote from the book,

But isn’t it likely that everyone who counts in this world including our prime minister (including you, Mr Jiabao), has killed someone or other on their way to the top? Kill enough people and they will put up bronze statues to you near Parliament House in Delhi – but that is glory, and not what I am after. All I wanted was the chance to be a man – and for that, one murder was enough..

I leave it at that for you to think about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Tiger.

01/15/2009 page 20
7.25% 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Najibah Abu Bakar Saya belum mula lagi baca buku ini :). Masih terburu-buru baca buku lain yang saya rasa bumbunya tidak sekelakar dan semenarik White Tiger. Saya takut saya tak dapat tidur dan tak senang duduk bila dah mula baca WT tapi tak sempat habis, tipikal kalau saya jumpa buku yang berplot menarik dan lucu macam ni.

message 2: by Faizah Roslaini (last edited Feb 03, 2009 06:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Faizah Roslaini Ah...Buku ini saya pinjam dari seorang rakan di pejabat. Kerana mahu memulangkannya secepat mungkin, saya membacanya dulu dari yang lain-lain.

Tapi tak apa lah kalau tak dapat tidur membacanya pun. Walaupun Booker Prize atau apa2 lagi lah, tidaklah sesukar mana, buku ini adalah fast-read. Kalau berjaga mungkin satu malam pun boleh habis.

sani Alamak Faizah, now I really can't wait to get this book.

Faizah Roslaini Haa.. Baca-baca jangan tak baca.