Jennifer's Reviews > The Shop on Blossom Street

The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber

Dec 22, 08

bookshelves: 2005, romance, chicklit, knitting-fiction, debbie_macomber
Recommended for: People who don't like surprises
Read in May, 2005, read count: 1

I read this because I knit and will read anything that has to do with knitting. (Obsessed much? Who me?) It is the story of four stereotypes women who have nothing in common but bond in a knitting shop making the same baby blanket for different reasons.

The shops owner is Lydia and she opened the store because she fought Cancer and realized you have to live life while you have it. Jacqueline is the snobby older woman who is judgemental and cold because her marriage is a hollowed out shell. Carol is the baby obsessed woman who can't conceive. And finally to round out this lovely little group is Alix - you can tell by her name she is the tough chick who was ordered to knit a baby blanket for community service. (Really? Knitting for community service?!?! How cool would that be?)

Every time I think of this book I can't help but remember the episode of Family Guy called Chick Cancer where Lois and Peter go to a chickflick called Autumn's Piano and when the girls in the movie are introduced their names are Sassy, Pouty and Suicidey. My point being that you know what is going to happen to everyone in the book in chapter one - this is not a book of surprises. And honestly it got a little dull here and there. So much so that even though it is about knitting and I know there is a sequel (I might even own the sequel?) I haven't been able to make myself read it. Maybe I will get the second one on Audio book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shop on Blossom Street.