Ian's Reviews > Red Storm Rising

Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy

Dec 22, 2008

liked it

I'll do the same review for all Clancy's novels because they're all pretty much the same. Very long, very detailed, and after a while, very repetitive. If you stop after just a few of his books you'd probably give them 4 or 5 stars, but beyond that they start to grate. Especially where Jack Ryan is involved. I mean, Clancy spends hundreds of pages getting his details just right, the settings perfect etc., then he has Ryan dodging more bullets than James Bond! I finally threw my hands up and surrendered when Ryan becomes President. I can't remember what piece of crap that was in.

I've given three stars as a compromise between my reactions when reading my first Clancy (brilliant) and last Clancy (doorstop).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Storm Rising.

Roberto Castellanos Sorry man, this book is not Ryan Related

message 2: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian Yeah I know - I did the same review for all Clancy's books because I figure they are all pretty much the same.They don't all feature Ryan-it just seems that way!

message 3: by Checkman (new)

Checkman Bullseye. I read this book in 1986 when I was eighteen and in love with the military. As I got older I found Jack Ryan to be too perfect and Clancy to be verbose.