Maria Snyder's Reviews > Last Breath

Last Breath by Rachel Caine

Sep 12, 12

Read from September 03 to 12, 2012

Book #11 - I've never gone this far with an author or series before - Harry Potter the only other series I finished with 4 + books. I just love these characters and situation and am still engaged :)

I finished last night and enjoyed the story. It ended with a cliff hanger as Rachel does sometimes and I'm going to start Black Dawn tonight. I must say I was shocked by (view spoiler).

I talked to Rachel last year in Texas and asked her about writing so many books in one series. She mentioned how hard it is and that she has to keep "upping the stakes" (pun intended). After reading Last Breath - she certainly raised the stakes and as I said I was shocked :)

As for the story - I liked reading from the other character's POV - I'd have liked more indepth sections than the few that's there, and Shane, Micheal, and Eve only had one section each. I also thought it was interesting that while Clarie's POV is close third person - the others are first person, which seemed...odd to me - She did this in Bite Club, but it didn't stand out as much. Not anything to stop me from reading and it didn't distract from the story - I just noticed :) And I'm sure if you're on book #11, then you're all in - like me :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Breath.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Skye (new)

Skye I first started reading the series last year, and I was instantly hooked! I finished Book12-Black Dawn a few months ago, and are now waiting for Book13-Bitter Blood to be released in November(:

Sarah I just preordered my copy of Bitter Blood ;) I'm glad you enjoyed it Maria! Team Myrnin!!!

Maria Snyder Sezzy wrote: "I just preordered my copy of Bitter Blood ;) I'm glad you enjoyed it Maria! Team Myrnin!!!"

After Claire, Myrnin is my favorite character. I just saw there's a short story about him on Rachel's blog - I'll have to check it out.

message 4: by Aynab (new)

Aynab Maria V. Snyder, I seriously love you!

Maria Snyder Aynab wrote: "Maria V. Snyder, I seriously love you!"

Thanks Aynab!

message 6: by LazerWraith (new)

LazerWraith "Harry Potter the only other series I finished with 4 + books."

Maria Snyder You never read the Dresden Files?! I thought almost all urban fantasy fans read them. :P"

I read the first book, Storm Front, it was good, but I haven't had any desire to pick up the second.

message 8: by LazerWraith (new)

LazerWraith Seeing as how they are my favorite series, I'm obligated to recommend the rest. :) The first 3 were okay, but the series gets better (in the opinions of most people I have read, and my own).

I mainly like the focus on magic and (intelligently written) mystery in the Dresden Files. I think too much UF focuses on the romance, and the mystery/main plot suffers. Just my opinion, though.

Maria Snyder When I teach about the differences between UF and Paranormal Romance (PNR) - one of the things is that UF is supposed to focus on magic and the plot and PNR is centered more on romance - of course many books teeter on the edges of such distinctions.

I'll consider continuing the series - but the thing is I've so many books on my TBR pile and when you say, "the first 3 were okay," it means I'd have to slog through those before I get to the "better" ones. In my opinion, authors should hook their readers from book one, page one.

However in the case of the Dresden Files, I'm about the only person who thinks this :) He's sold millions of copies and has a TV show and a movie (right? not sure about the movie).

message 10: by LazerWraith (last edited Sep 18, 2012 08:01PM) (new)

LazerWraith Maria V. wrote: "When I teach about the differences between UF and Paranormal Romance (PNR) - one of the things is that UF is supposed to focus on magic and the plot and PNR is centered more on romance - of course many books teeter on the edges of such distinctions."

Interesting - I guess I sometimes go into an "urban fantasy" book hoping for magic and mystery, but get mostly romance and feel disappointed.

"In my opinion, authors should hook their readers from book one, page one."

Ideally, they should. I personally think the books after the first 3-4 are enough of a reward for going through them - not sure if it would be worth it for you (I think we may have different tastes in books :) ).

"He's sold millions of copies and has a TV show and a movie (right? not sure about the movie)."

He had a TV show that I heard wasn't great and was discontinued a while back. I think the rights were transferred, so we might see another try. Don't think there is a movie.

Of course, popularity doesn't always equal quality, but IMO it does in this case. :)

Carie I agree with you 100% - especially loved your spoiler comments! My thoughts exactly! Regarding Dresden Files, I have loved those books, but I listened to almost all of them on audio and I LOVE James Marsters' narration. He IS Harry Dresden and made the books awesome! Don't know if I would have made it through all of them if I'd just been reading them on my own, since I also have a huge TBR pile that would have distracted me ;) (Must say that I was VERY disappointed that the last book wasn't read by Marsters. Why change a good thing this far into the series?!) Just finished your "Touch of Power" on audio and LOVED it, too!!

message 12: by LazerWraith (last edited Sep 20, 2012 06:01PM) (new)

LazerWraith On the subject of Marsters - apparently there was a scheduling conflict or something and he couldn't meet the deadline. But he will work on Cold Days. :)

I remember staying up most of the night reading book after book of the Dresden Files...I didn't really get much sleep, but I loved it enough to read most of them twice or three times. (And I'm due for a reread soon).

Not many books can do that for me.

@Carie - what is your opinion on the first Dresden books compared to the ones that came after?

Carie LazerWraith wrote: "On the subject of Marsters - apparently there was a scheduling conflict or something and he couldn't meet the deadline. But he will work on Cold Days. :)

I do think the series improved as it went along, but the first books really grabbed me and made me want to continue with it. Harry’s personality and the crazy things that happen to him from the very beginning just made me want to read more! I liked when more recurring friends/allies/enemies were introduced/included in later books--adding more depth to the stories. And the stories kept getting better and better, too. It’s an awesome series! I can’t wait for the next book to come out :) And, YAY about Marsters! You made my day!!

Maria Snyder Carie wrote: "I agree with you 100% - especially loved your spoiler comments! My thoughts exactly! Regarding Dresden Files, I have loved those books, but I listened to almost all of them on audio and I LOVE Ja..."

Thanks Carie - and what a great idea to listen to the Dresden books on audio!! I'm frequently traveling and if the reader is good...it might make the difference.

LazerWraith - I agree about popularity vs. quality. Good thing we all have lots of choices :) And not everyone labels them the same. My books are shelved in the Romance section in Barnes & Noble - I don't think my books are romance - yes, they have romantic elements, but they're firmly fantasy.

Itsmenique i just recently started and i love it! i couldn't put it down its fast paced and love it so much.
and yeah claire not being turned didn't make sense. when she was killed by magnus i thought that was cleverly written because if she was killed by someone local or amelie, oliver that would have caused a lot of trouble for both vamps and glass house tenants. claire being forcefully turned would not be very cooperative. so yeah when magnus killed her, wow prob solved she'd be turned and won't hate much the morganville vamps. and then she came back the same human claire. i never got that. got really confused.
anyway i think claire getting turned is inevitable, she has all this new knowledge that myrnin has shared with her. she knows too much and is really gifted and smart. i don't think amelie would just let her stay human after all that. it would be such a waste teaching her things and what they'd be able to use her for maybe 50years give or take before her memory gives and she'd be too old to think straight.
can you imagine if she's a vamp 100 years forward we'd get a love triangle myrnin+claire+michael.