Angela's Reviews > Madam, Will You Talk?

Madam, Will You Talk? by Mary Stewart

Dec 21, 08

Read in July, 2007

This was a bit of an odd bird--the oldest yet of the Stewarts I'd read, I think, dating clear back to 1955. And this time around I really noticed it, more than with her other books. The thing that stood out most strongly for me in this thing was how many characters were smoking, and how often--the heroine especially seemed to do it a lot for comfort. Barely a scene went by without someone lighting up. Talk about your ways to date a novel, eh? Between that and the thing being set in the south of France, it really came out feeling for me rather like an old Cary Grant movie or something. All these sophisticated people in Europe, smoking and drinking and dealing with intrigue and murder, and there's even a couple of pretty impressive car chase sequences--with the heroine at the wheel, in fact. And with my affection for Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, especially first season, it was strangely easy to envision the setting in full Technicolor, with David Hedison playing the part of the brooding hero. Snicker.

Anyway, plot-wise, this one wasn't terribly surprising; of course you know, going in, that the Big Mystery about the hero is going to come out okay in the end. But I did like that this one also brings the heroine in almost on the very tail end of the overall plot; she only comes in as a pivotal player at that point, rather than being there for the whole thing. Kind of cool, that. Points off for having the heroine faint in the middle of a tense scene with the hero, though, just because he's being Skeery! Two and a half stars.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Madam, Will You Talk?.