Becs 's Reviews > As You Wish

As You Wish by Elyssa Patrick

Sep 10, 12

bookshelves: review-copy, contemporary-romance, super-rich-hero, widow-widower, tattooed-hero
Read from September 07 to 10, 2012

This is a nice contemporary romance debut from Elyssa Patrick.

Aubry Riley, mega-famous rock star, widower and father is driving home on a dark desert Vermont highway to join his sister who is caring for his 6 year old daughter for Christmas. He is flagged down by a young woman, Portia, whose decrepit old car has conked out on her on the side of the road. He stops to help and drives her to the nearest store to wait in the warm. There is an instant attraction between them and the story goes from here – fairly standard contemporary romance.

I have to say that I really didn’t like Aubry at first and it took nearly the whole book for me to warm up to him. He lost his wife in a car accident when his daughter was a baby and descended into a downward spiral of drugs and alcohol. When we meet him, he’s been sober for a few years but he’s still a bit of an arrogant arse to say the very least. His idea of a chat up line to Portia is to point out that there are condoms by the cash till! When he next sees her, she’s working in her florist shop and he tries to have sex with her there but she stops him, thankfully. He’s absolutely a stereotypical rock star – almost misogynistic in his view that women are there just for sex.

He’s also a right dickhead towards his daughter who is more than a little fearful of his quick temper and he needs to make amends and make them fast. He does come around but it’s unusual to dislike a hero in contemporary romance quite so much and for quite so long.

Portia, on the other hand, is a sweetheart and has a lovely big old family and probably deserved better than Aubry but I guess he was rich, hot and famous so that makes up for plenty of character deficits!! Aubry and Portia do eventually finally get their freak on but it is a long time coming and this isn’t a very steamy romance at all with only two sex scenes which were both fairly short.

There’s a sweet but brief romance between Portia’s best friend and librarian Laura and her brother Finn. Laura’s been in love with Portia’s other brother Gideon for years but suddenly falls for Finn when he confesses his feelings for her. I’m not a huge fan of secondary romances, I have to say, and I would much rather Laura and Finn had their own book to flesh out the story which was very under-developed.

So, all in all, a sweet contemporary romance if you can put up with the hero being a bit of a wanker.

3 stars

I received a copy of this novel from the author in exchange for an honest review

For more of my reviews, please visit my Sinfully Sexy Book Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As You Wish.

09/07/2012
1.0% "Author debut and hopefully more cheerful than the last one I read"
09/08/2012
32.0% "On a dark Vermont highway....."
09/08/2012
47.0% "Oh dear - the hero is a wanker" 7 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karla (new)

Karla As always and excellent review Becs! Wanker again...love it!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Thanks for the honest review, Becs. I don't think I'll waste my time with this one. With a hero that takes almost the full book to like and only two short mild-ish sex scenes (if the book was atleast steamy it would have made up for the douchey hero) it just doesn't sound very appealing.

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin Muses This actually sounds like something I might like...hmmm, must consider.

BTW, love your Britishisms! Do you think anyone would notice if I started tossing in some "right dickheads" and "wankers" into my everyday speech? :)

Becs Ha ha - I have no idea I'm spattering my reviews with Britishisms!! Wanker is there just for Karla because she loves that word!!

Kristen - I do think that the author has promise but this was just one of those books that I never thought about when I wasn't reading it.