Sheree's Reviews > The Pilot's Wife

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

Sep 04, 12

Read from September 03 to 04, 2012

I'm sitting on the fence when it comes to how I felt about this book. On the one hand I was very much into the story and its unfolding. I started and finished it over a three day period, which is a quick turnaround for me. It was written to feel like a mystery and we were along for the investigation as pieces started to reveal themselves.

However, the revelation was so obvious so as to be almost insulting to the reader. It was so easy - and pathetic - to see what was coming. But this was not even my issue. My issue was that it was so predictable in the most stereotypical of ways. Men are scum... we get it! (This isn't necessarily my opinion, but its a popular one that is often thrust upon the world to be assumed as fact).

My hope - and the reason I needed to keep reading - was that I would be proven wrong. That the path that the author was leading us down would turn out to be a dead end and would in fact reveal the opposite - that not all men are scum, but we will find all the "evidence" and clues in the world to try to prove otherwise. Unfortunately, I was sadly mistaken and it was exactly what I and everyone one believed it would be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pilot's Wife.