Nikki Wilde's Reviews > Forbidden Mind

Forbidden Mind by Karpov Kinrade

Sep 03, 2012

did not like it
Read in September, 2012

What seemed like an excellent premise for a book turned out to be poorly executed.

Sam a mind reader and working for rent-a-kid to turn up hidden secrets for the highest bidder is about to turn 18 and be sent off to college to do as she pleases. Or so she thinks. Little does she know that all at rent-a-kid is not as it seems.

Drake, being able to control minds and being super strong hides out as much as he can. He keeps to himself but his one dream of becoming a surfing legend has him confused. He wants to hide his secrets but he really wants to win the surfing competition as well. That is, until he's kidnapped.

All I had to read was X-men meets and I was intrigued. I loved the X-Men series but this fell very short of that. I realize it's a YA but even young adults can't possibly be entertained by this.

At the risk of spoiling any of the plot Sam and Drake never even meet for more than 1 second, yet they fall in love. Eventually, I started skipping sentences and paragraphs to just be done with the whole thing.

The problem was that the story was told too quickly. Had we had more time to get to learn the characters and really connect with them maybe this could have gone a different way. If you're going to write something make it count.

Clearly, there's another book if not more in the series but considering how short this first one was, it would probably all fit into one complete book. Unless, the author can figure out how to connect us with the characters, I don't know how well this series will turn out.

I'm not sure why so many people were giving this 5 stars. I prefer my stories to have more substance. If I'm going to take the time to read something I want it to matter.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forbidden Mind.

KindleDA apollo Super fellow :