Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews's Reviews > Impulse

Impulse by Moira Rogers

Originally posted at: http://whippedcream2.blogspot.com/201...

Sera Sinclaire is happy with where she is in life. She likes her job, loves her friends, and hopes she never has to see her ex-husband, Josh, again now that she lives far from his Arkansas home. She loves New Orleans, even if she is a bit of a rarity there: a submissive coyote shifter in a town filled with dominant wolves. Most of them, she just ignores, but one man keeps her on her toes. Julio Mendoza is the hottest thing she has ever seen, and she wouldn’t mind getting to know him better.

When her obsessive ex shows up in New Orleans, Julio convinces Sera to take a bit of a vacation, and he decides to combine business with a bit of pleasure and join her. Once they are out of town, both are able to relax and enjoy each other’s company. Harmless flirting becomes something more, and the attraction between them grows. Julio has pack business to attend to, and Sera worries that trouble could arise from her being along, since most wolves see her as less than worthy. But there is trouble around every corner, and Sera proves to Julio and to the others that being submissive doesn’t mean she can’t take care of herself. And Julio discovers that dominant doesn’t have to be bad with the right partner. Can these two learn to accept the growing feelings between them? When danger threatens, can Julio get to Sera in time to stop Josh and protect what he has come to realize is his mate? Will the wolves accept Sera as a wolf’s woman, or will trouble erupt?

Impulse is the fifth book in Moira Rogers’ Southern Arcana series, and is my favorite to date. This one takes the characters out of the familiar locale of New Orleans, and on a road trip across the south. I like the interaction between Sera and Julio, at times light and teasing, two people getting better acquainted while enjoying the trip. I liked watching as they began to sense that each of them wanted more than a light flirtation. I love the Southern Arcana world, and enjoyed this expansion of it to other areas.

Sera Sinclaire is strong, determined and ready to fight for the life she wants. She knows the wolves see her as weak; at times even she thinks she is. But with Julio, she learns that being submissive isn’t necessarily a bad thing, that it doesn’t make her a pushover. I like Sera’s inner strength, and her ability to make friends and soothe hurt feelings.

Julio Mendoza is strong, in both his magic and in sheer physical strength. He's handsome, sexy and protective of those he cares for. With Sera, he learns that he can let go for a while and just let her be in charge when it's the one thing she needs. I liked seeing him let her have her victories, and listening to her ideas without vetoing them out of hand. I enjoyed watching as he fell for her and discovered she wanted the same things he did.

This wouldn’t be a Moira Rogers book without the steamy and passionate romance, and there are a couple of absolutely toe curling scenes in this one. There is also non-stop action, danger, treachery and a bit of family betrayal to be dealt with. There are lots of new characters along the road trip, and some I would enjoy meeting again in the future. I enjoyed seeing how Sera and Julio were able to bring attention to the problems in the area outside of New Orleans, and it was fun seeing some of the characters from past books step up to help as well.

Do these two beat the odds for a happy ever after? I’m not saying, but I will warn you to stay by the air conditioner, this one is a scorcher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Impulse.