Elaine's Reviews > May We Be Forgiven

May We Be Forgiven by A.M. Homes

F_50x66
Dec 12, 12

I won this ARC book from Goodreads. This is amazing! What an author. I had never heard of her, but she will be heard by many, and I hope very soon.
What skill! This has to be made into a movie, but John Candy is not available, so maybe a sort of erudite yet bumbling Chevy Chase can step in.
The dialogue is fantastic. This is ready for the big screen.
The tale is so 21st. century:filled with dysfunctional nuclear familial angst, the psychobabble dominance of modern situations like the over-praising of American students, the observance of secular humanism within the once ritually observant Jewish event of a bar mitzvah, early sexual explorations,and the premature confinements of our senior citizens which causes them to deteriorate unnecessarily.
At first, I thought it was the Book of Job as one thing after another kept happening to the main character, Harry Silver. Although Harry is not a hero, he becomes a sort of non-chivalrous leader, guru, or messiah. He was an awful husband, brother, lover, professor and Nixon scholar, but he becomes synpathetic and capable of loving in a beautiful way. He is open and considerate, and it seems his former screw-ups were forgiven.
Harry's failure as a university professor whose expertise as a Nixon scholar is told with magnificent irony, while the scenes where he is involved in his professional pursuits are filled with satire and understated humor.
I am very happy I read it and hope to read this author again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read May We Be Forgiven.