Denise's Reviews > The Secret Keeper

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

Sep 24, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reading-challenge, arc, female-author, fiction
Read from September 03 to 24, 2012

I was very fortunate to get an ARC of The Secret Keeper. I loved it and could barely put it down! Kate Morton is so readable; her stories flow with her beautiful writing.

One summer day during a party at her family's farm in the English countryside, sixteen-year-old Laurel Nicolson sat daydreaming in her childhood tree house. She saw a strange man approach the farmhouse and watched as her mother briefly spoke to him...and then stabbed him to death with a knife. Her mother's act challenged everything Laurel knew about her nearly perfect mother, Dorothy. Why did she do it? Who was the stranger?

Fifty years later, Laurel and her family are gathering at Greenacres farm for Dorothy’s ninetieth birthday. Dorothy is seriously ill, and Laurel believes it may be her last chance to get answers about the killing which she has tried not to think about for so long and has never even discussed with her siblings. Laurel begins to research her mother's past from clues found in a book and photograph.

Dorothy’s story takes us from pre–WW2 England through the Blitz to the present. It is the secret story of three strangers--
Dorothy, Vivien and Jimmy--who meet by chance and whose lives are forever connected. Laurel's research will unearth many secrets and will bring her (and the reader!) many surprises.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Keeper.

09/03/2012 page 50
09/11/2012 page 175
36.0% 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol Morton seems to be one of those authors that is not as well known as some but well respected. She is gaining momentum in our library.

Robin I'm also loving this book and want to devour it but am trying to savor it.

Denise She is an excellent writer.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Is this violent act a spoiler? If yes, could the review be marked as containing a spoiler?