Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews's Reviews > The Ruins of Lace

The Ruins of Lace by Iris Anthony

Sep 03, 12

bookshelves: historical, non-erotic
Read in August, 2012

Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.blogsp...

You know the saying, too many books, too little time? It sums up my dilemma perfectly. Sometimes it’s a choice between fiction and the many books on historical events I want to read by year’s end. Lucky for me I got the best of both worlds in The Ruins of Lace.

It’s a fascinating read and shows how much work and effort the author took in researching the topic of lace and its impact on culture and society in 16th century France. What made it all the more captivating was the author decided to tell this story from lots of viewpoints and how lace, its production, and the need to own it, affected people’s life. I also enjoyed, and excuse the pun, how all these individual’s stories became woven together as the book progressed.

All the characters were well-rounded, and the dialogue natural sounding. You might think a book of this length and subject matter would be slow paced, but this one was anything but. I found myself carrying it with me and was compelled to read what happened next at any chance I got.

I will definitely be looking for more books by Iris Anthony. If you’re looking to read something a little different this fall, I highly recommend this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ruins of Lace.