Auntee's Reviews > Rough, Raw, and Ready

Rough, Raw, and Ready by Lorelei James

Dec 21, 2008

bookshelves: erotic-romance, ménage, 2009_reads
Recommended for: Fans of the series; Fans of erotic cowboy romance
Read in August, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Oh boy, what to say...I really enjoyed this one, maybe a little more than I thought I would, which shouldn't have surprised me. I mean, Lorelei James is one of the few authors who can have me finishing a book in one day, so she must be doing something right. There's just something about her writing style that makes reading her books almost effortless. It's probably a combination of her realistic dialogue, her plots, her flawed but always likable characters, the pacing... not to mention her scorching hot sex scenes that have you turning the pages as fast as you can read them! Rough, Raw and Ready was another winner in the Rough Riders series, and while it may not have been my favorite, it was a darn good read.

This was former rodeo cowboy Trevor Glanzer and his new wife Chassie West's story. Chassie is the half Native American cousin to the more prosperous McKay family (who stars in the rest of the stories in the series). Chassie's had sort of a rough life filled with heartache and family and financial problems, but things start looking up when Trevor Glanzer comes into her life and helps share some of her burdens and helps her make a go of it with the little ranch that she inherited. They fall in love, get married, and even though money's tight, they have each other and are very happy. Trevor's retired from the rodeo and only wants to have a place to call home and a family of his own (to make up for the crazy dysfunctional family he comes from), and he loves his feisty new wife dearly. But when a blast from his past shows up on their doorstep, things are about to change big time, and his future with Chassie may be threatened.

Trevor never thought he'd see his old rodeo roping partner and lover, Brazilian hottie Edgard Mancuso, again, not after they had a painful breakup over 3 years ago. Edgard left him after Trevor couldn't give him the public acknowledgement that he wanted, and although it hurt him terribly, Trevor thought he put all those feelings he had for Edgard behind him when he married Chassie. But one look again at the dark haired, sexy hunk has him feeling all kind of confusing things. He loves his wife Chassie, but Edgard also owns a piece of his heart. How could he have both of them? Would Chassie be willing to share him with another man? Should he let Edgard walk out of his life again? What about all the hopes and dreams that he and Chassie have? Would there be any room for Edgard in those plans? There's no way Trevor wants to lose Chassie, but he never told her about his past with Edgard. What will Chassie think? What will sweet Chassie do when he tells her?

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Imagine being in Chassie's shoes. You're blissfully in love with your sexy hunk of a husband, you can't believe this sex god has fallen for ordinary you, things are finally going right in what has been a disappointing life...and you find out your husband has been keeping one whopper of a secret from you. How would you handle it? Give him the boot? Tell him to make a choice between you or the old boyfriend? Or see if there's a way to preserve the marriage between you and the man you still love (and who still loves you), by accepting what's going to make him truly happy and give him (and possibly you) a sense of completion.

That's about the gist of this story--can Chassie, Trevor, and Edgard forge some kind of relationship that works for all of them? Well, it doesn't take long--after Chassie gets some advice from a woman who experienced both Trevor and Edgard in her wilder days (that would be Channing McKay from Long Hard Ride)-- that Chassie decides to take matters into her own hands and proposes that her husband and Edgard get it on right in front of her (I guess to see if she can take it--kind of masochistic, I thought). But what do you know, she's turned on by their rather rough man lovin'--this just might work after all! Yes, yes, there's a few problems to work out (Is she jealous of Edgard, is he jealous of her, is Trevor jealous of the blossoming relationship between Chassie and Edgard, does Chassie enjoy being the 'filling' in their sandwich (yes!), is it more than just sex between this very lusty trio, what will the families think, do they hide the relationship, etc.) All these potential problems are dealt with and handled very well in the story, in between all the bouts of lusty lovemaking in every perceivable way, combination, and position, I might add. By the end of the story, all three learn a lot about themselves and each other, and what it means to love unconditionally, and to realize that you only get one life to live and you want to make darn sure you live it without regrets.

I really came to care for all three of these characters. I loved Chassie right off the bat. She had a hard life and had a big heart and I wanted to see her happy. And when Edgard showed up on her doorstep, I wanted to say "No, turn around and go away!" But then I saw how miserable Edgard was without Trevor, how truly alone he was, and how he and Chassie hit it off, (I loved when he bought her a goat), and I started to think that maybe he'd be good for Chassie too--maybe he can give her something that Trevor can't. And when he was attracted to her physically...well that just sealed the deal for me!

At first I wasn't too happy with Trevor--he should have never kept that secret from Chassie. And when Chassie gave them the go ahead to 'get busy', it was almost laughable when they practically attacked each other before the words were barely out of her mouth. "Their mouths met in a furious kiss. Trevor trapped Edgard's face in his hands. He inhaled Ed's whole mouth like a sumptuous feast, making up for the mere crumbs he'd tasted the day before..." Jeez, their man-love was animalistic! (That was just the prelude) But, I never felt that Trevor loved Edgard more than Chassie, which was important, because I didn't want to see her get shortchanged. And trust me, she didn't. In fact, I think she had all the lovin' she could handle.

Things got a little dicey when Trevor had to make a decision about whether he was going to take over his disgustingly dysfunctional family's business (wow, his family was mean!), or stick with the less prosperous but far happier plan of making a go of it with Chassie and Edgard. Not too hard of a choice there...

I must warn that there's lots of sex in this book, maybe more so than in LJ's other books in the series, and most of it is of the menage kind, although there's a bit of exclusive m/f and m/m. No doubt most of it is plenty hot, but it could push some readers far out of their comfort zones. Just when I thought that maybe I'd had enough and was thinking about skimming, LJ got back on track with the plot (which I really enjoyed) and no skimming was needed!

I also enjoyed the little preview/setup for one of the next books that's obviously going to be about wounded war hero Cam McKay. It was nice to also get a glimpse back into the McKay family's lives and get an update on what's also happening with recovering alcoholic Colt McKay, whose story is told in the upcoming Branded As Trouble. Looking forward to both of those future reads.

While this wasn't my favorite (I prefer an exclusive m/f romance) I'm sure plenty of readers will enjoy this hot and satisfying read about unconditional love and acceptance, and will probably fall in love with all three leads. Chalk up another winner for Lorelei James--I haven't read a bad one in this series yet! 4 1/2 stars

Warning: This book contains explicit language and sex, including oral and anal, light spanking, m/m action, m/f/m menage, and m/m/f menage. Not for the faint of heart!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rough, Raw, and Ready.

08/22/2009 page 1
08/23/2009 page 112
40.29% "Verrry interesting so far..."
08/23/2009 page 135
48.56% "Oy...." 7 comments
08/23/2009 page 202
72.66% "Wow, what a lusty trio...where do they get the energy?"
08/23/2009 page 280
100% "Review coming eventually..."

Shawna I'm so jealous you got this already! I ordered through Amazon and it still hasn't even been shipped yet, ARGH! I can't wait! :)

Auntee I lucked out and got it early through B&N--but look what you have to look forward to! It's a good one so far.:)

message 3: by Shawna (last edited Aug 23, 2009 08:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Auntee wrote: "I lucked out and got it early through B&N--but look what you have to look forward to! It's a good one so far.:)"

I can imagine...I've been soooo eager for Trevor and Edgard's story, anticipating it since the first book! Glad to hear it's good! I swear, LJ can do no wrong and just seems to get better and better with each book!

message 4: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Wonderful review, Auntee! As you know, this story isn't up my alley but you make it sound good! ;)

Auntee Thanks Dina.:) I know it won't be for everyone--this was probably the most explicit one of the series so far.
Sorry I couldn't work any Portuguese phrases in to the review--he rarely uttered them out loud!:) All he said was "meu amigo" and "meu amor" a few times.:)

message 6: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Aww, no cuss words in Portuguese? Darn, I can't believe it! Don't people cuss in their 1st language? Or was Edgard too polite to use "foul language"? Somehow I doubt that, LOL.

Auntee LOL, he might have been saying some, but they weren't on the printed oage!

message 8: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Auntee!

message 9: by Rane (last edited Aug 23, 2009 09:39PM) (new)

Rane Dina wrote: "Aww, no cuss words in Portuguese? Darn, I can't believe it! Don't people cuss in their 1st language? Or was Edgard too polite to use "foul language"? Somehow I doubt that, LOL."

There's way to many ways and context to each word ex: Porra = cum but they can also be "Fu*k!" “oh!” and “wow! or damn
Author maybe just wanted to make it easier?

message 10: by Shawna (last edited Aug 23, 2009 09:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Dang, I can't wait for Amazon to hurry up and ship my copy already and for it to arrive on my doorstep! The anticipation is killin' me, especially after reading your great review, Auntee! :)

message 11: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Rane wrote: "There's way to many ways and context to each word..."

message 12: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Awesome review Auntee!

message 13: by Rane (new)

Rane Dina wrote: "Rane wrote: "There's way to many ways and context to each word..."

So true, LOL. I guess the author chose the easy way out and decided to avoid the "nuances" of the Portuguese language. ;)"

*laughs* save her the hassle and the headache!

It's kinda funny though, I remember learning "Spainsh" from school which is differnt from the Spainsh in Mexico and the Spanish I grew up hearing my family speak. But curse words always seem to mean something bad or funny!

message 14: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Oh I had a brief brush with spainish at school...I wrote something in spanish thinking it was about old men drinking or chatting but the actual translation was something about a horses arse think I got grappa and groppa mixed up...not to sure,but the teacher was in hysterics about it.

message 15: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina I guess each country adds their own "flavor" to their language: Brazilian Portuguese is different from the "original" Portuguese from Portugal, American English is different from British English, and so on. That can lead to some hysterical misunderstandings. For example: "bicha" means "gay, homosexual man" in Brazil, but it means "queue" in Portugal. Oh, the things that could go haywire if you used that word in the wrong context, LOL!

message 16: by Rane (new)

Rane Adrienne wrote: "Oh I had a brief brush with spainish at school...I wrote something in spanish thinking it was about old men drinking or chatting but the actual translation was something about a horses arse think I..."

*LOL* bet that teacher remember a few choice words ;D

I enjoyed learning spainsh from the telenovlas then my spainsh teacher (better drama!)

message 17: by Rane (new)

Rane Dina wrote: "I guess each country adds their own "flavor" to their language: Brazilian Portuguese is different from the "original" Portuguese from Portugal, American English is different from British English, a..."

*laughs!* That's good Dina!
*writes that bit of info down* being half and half myself (half white, half spainsh/french) I always enjoy learning about all the misunderstandings in words ;D
Although the word for b*tch is pretty much the same..

message 18: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Rane wrote: "Although the word for b*tch is pretty much the same..."

Ah yes, the very much used word "p*ta"... It can be used as a noun, as an adjective, as an adverb, as an expletive, sometimes even as a comma when you need a pause in the sentence to take a deep breath, LOL.

message 19: by Kris (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kris H. Great review Auntee! I loved this book and am completely addicted to the series.

message 20: by Rane (new)

Rane Dina wrote: "Rane wrote: "Although the word for b*tch is pretty much the same..."

*LOL* You know something is bad when that word is thrown out!

message 21: by Daisiemae (new) - added it

Daisiemae Great review, Auntee:)

Auntee Thanks everyone!:)

message 23: by Blackbook (new) - added it

Blackbook Great review. There is something really charming and wonderful about her books. #7 in this series comes out tomorrow.

Auntee I know--I'm dying to read it too! But I'll force myself to wait for the print version (*sigh*).

Shawna Auntee wrote: "I know--I'm dying to read it too! But I'll force myself to wait for the print version (*sigh*)."

I'm with ya Auntee, I suffer and wait for the print versions of these too!

Auntee Did you get your copy yet, Shawna?

Shawna Auntee wrote: "Did you get your copy yet, Shawna?"

Not yet, but I finally got an email from Amazon today that it's been shipped, so hopefully soon!

Ragus Auntee, GREAT REVIEW!! Will you guys stop teasing me! I'm trying my hardest to read this series in order, but everyone keeps reading and loving this story. I don't want to skip but .... I'm soooo tempted ;o))

R.

Auntee Thanks BB and Ragus.:)

Ragus--don't skip!!:) There's plenty of great stories in the series!

Ragus Auntee wrote: "Thanks BB and Ragus.:)

Ragus--don't skip!!:) There's plenty of great stories in the series!"

OK, but man...I got to read faster! :o(

Auntee How far into the series are you?

Ragus Auntee wrote: "How far into the series are you?"

Ah... Book #2 :o(

I keep getting sidetracked with other books, i.e. LMR Dangerous Passion, Susie Charles Candid Camera, a couple of rereads, started Jeaniene Frost's series ... should I go on ... hehehehehe :o))

R

Auntee I get the picture!
I know all about getting sidetracked.:)

message 34: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Even more sex than book 1?!? Wow where did she have time to write a plot ;) Glad to hear it all "worked out" for Trevor and Edgar in the end.

Auntee Eastofoz wrote: "Even more sex than book 1?!? Wow where did she have time to write a plot ;) Glad to hear it all "worked out" for Trevor and Edgar in the end."

I'm guessing you won't be reading this one then?;D

message 36: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Good guess ;) (lol!)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I hope you don't mind the resurrection of this review, but I want to know if this can be read out of order? I've read book 1, and I want to skip to this one. Will I be too lost?

Buggy UMD, My question would be; Why would you want to? (Even though you're not asking me)
Such a great series

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Because they are sooooooooo expensive and I really want to read this story!!!

Rossy Get an ereader, Dhes!LOL
The ebooks are like $5, immediate satisfaction too. These days i refuse to buy paperback/hardback unless the books are hard to find on ebook.

Auntee Hmmm....I think you can, but to quote J Buggy, "why would you want to?":)
These characters are introduced in the first book of the series, so maybe you should at least read that one first. Trust me, you'll get a lot more out of this one if you do that. This is a great erotic series--you won't want to skip any of them!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I know, Rossy.. I need to just go do it!!!!

Someone was saying that the Sony has a lot of glare problems, and since I'd be reading in bed at night, that's why I'm worried!!!!!

Which one do you have Rossy?

Rossy Sony and no glare in mine since i don't read it while out in the beach or anything. I'm dark skinned as it is, there's a reason for umbrellas!LOL
Seriously if you get the Touch edition, you can read it at night anytime. I don't get a glare with my lights on in the house or office.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Is the touch backlit? Whatever that means? And does it come with whatever cable I need to attach to my computer for downloads?

message 45: by Kris (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kris H. I don't have an e-reader, but I still buy these books in e format and just read from my laptop. Also, I wouldn't skip any of these books either. They are fabulous!

Rossy It comes with the cable, but am not sure if that one is backlit or not. I use a booklight that i can attack to the reader.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Ahhh, ok. I'm going to head over to BB in a little bit. I also need a new monitor cable so I can watch downloaded shows on my laptop on my TV.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Kris, it's REALLY hard for me to sit for long periods of time reading, which is why I don't use my laptop for ebooks more often.

Rossy I wouldn't recommend doing that as it can ruin your eyes.LOL!
Go get it, Dhes. It's still on special!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I know, we're calling them right now to see if it's still in stock at the local store or if I'll have to order online.

Someone else just told me that it wasn't very user friendly. **sniff** I hope that wasn't right.

So you've had no problems buying books from B&N or Amazon for it? Which format do you download?

« previous 1