Beth F.'s Reviews > The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream

The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama

Feb 10, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction, autobiographies-and-memoirs, 2009, tnbbc-winter-2008
Read in February, 2009

I pay as little attention as possible to the political arena in the hope that I can find a healthy balance between being peripherally aware of what’s going on without being sucked into the madness. I never intended to read this book and the only reason I picked it up in the first place was because it counted for a reading challenge I’m participating in through a group on this site.

Before starting the book, I had read some reviews written by other users and without fail, every single one reminded me of why I don’t enjoy politics. It would be one thing to read something like this, have an opinion and have that be the end of the story, but that is seldom the case. Because whenever you’re exposed to something that forces you to choose one side or the other, you make your decision and then run the risk of someone else choosing to loudly disagree with you and start an argument. Grrr, arguments.

Now the really fucked up thing about that is that I usually love arguments…or rather, I love to not back down from arguments, but where politics are involved, I have a tendency to shut down and just walk away from whoever has decided to oppose me (usually my husband—we have a lot of opposing political viewpoints, heh).

I thought the book was engaging. Obama is a deeply thoughtful individual and I was glad the book didn’t bore me (I normally find politics exceedingly dull). But aside from saying that, I don’t plan to write a proper “review” of this book or even explain what I liked about the book. It would be reasonable to assume that you either agree with him or don’t and as far as I’m concerned, there’s very little else to say past that without sparking an argument. More than likely my rating gives my opinion away, but whatever. I’m still not gonna go there.

I’m glad I read it—it was a stretch for me as a reader. But I’m not sure I’d willingly pick up another political interest book anytime in the near future. I prefer fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Audacity of Hope.

01/29/2009 page 1
01/30/2009 page 25
6.67% "I'm not crazy about politics, but so far I'm enthralled. I was worried this would be boring but it's most certainly not."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie (new)

Maggie I'd love to hear what you think of this! I started reading it one day when I was subbing for a class and it was on the teachers desk. Alas, I had to leave it behind...

Beth F. Enjoying it so far, but I've only read the prologue and part of chapter one. He is obviously 80 million times smarter than the average bear and an extremely deep thinker, so I appreciate the clarity he uses to describe things. I don’t pay a lot of attention to politics so I find most political books unapproachable because I usually have a very limited understanding of what they’re arguing about.

His onscreen charisma transfers to the written page as well.

message 3: by Maggie (new)

Maggie I agree, I'm not much for politics, but I think he's an admirable person no matter which side you usually cheer for!

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I love your non-review Beth and agree very much. I can talk about butt plugs in mixed company - but don't talk to me about politics! (lol)

Beth F. Up with butt plugs! Down with politics!

Sheesh...what does that say about us really?!?

message 6: by Maggie (new)

Maggie I feel like I could have totally written that review! But not as eloquently, obviously! It's funny how we might not share the same political views, or maybe we do, but who wants to discuss that... BUT we share the same views about discussing politics and I love that!

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Beth wrote: "Up with butt plugs! Down with politics!

Sheesh...what does that say about us really?!?"

I know - right?!!?

Beth F. Maggie – I tend to believe that the majority of Americans are probably just like us in that respect. We’re not totally crazy about politics, and yet each of us has the capacity to get crazy when we talk about politics so we DON’T…and then spend some time uncomfortably watching those who DO. I don’t know what it is about picking sides that turn so many people into rabid, slavering nutcases but it does and that makes me extremely uncomfortable, especially since I am a bit of a fence sitter if truth be told. :P

Jen – I have only one thing to say: what what in da butt!

…I’ve never been entirely sure what that meant, but it makes me laugh every time I hear it…

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer OMG! That's a South Park Refrence! Awesome! I will try and find it on You Tube so you can see it. LOL!

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer You will probably want to watch this at home... ;)

Beth F. I shall do so this evening.

We're going to pick up my car from the shop tonight (for the third time in 2 weeks) so I'll need a laugh.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer OMG - Are you kidding?!?! It better be fixed AND free. Man!!!!! I bet you are just sick to death of the car stuff. Although your misfortune is comforting in a sick way - at least we aren't the only one's who have cars chewing on our wallets all the time. I swear the Mazda was digging through my purse when I went in for coffee this morning. I came out of Dunn Brothers and it tried to act all innocent - like it hadn't been caught rooting through my purse. It didn't fool me for a minute!

Beth F. On Monday I went to the library to exchange some books and the lock wouldn't respond to the key fob, it wouldn't respond to the manual lock button on the door and when I tried to push the lock down, it kept popping back up. So I was like, ok, fuck it. I'm going into the library for 3 minutes, I doubt someone is going to break into my car in the parking lot of the library in Woodbury of all places.

So I went into the library, took care of business, walk back to my car and when I opened the door (still not locked of course), the alarm started going off and it took me over a minute to get it to shut off!

Jack called the dealer and arranged to have them look at it again. They were like, "uh, we can't get it to act up it seems fine, we can't help you."

So it is NOT fixed but there are no additional charges. The door lock on the driver's side doesn't work (they said they can replace it for another $300 but they're not 100% that will fix the problem), the window works sometimes and sometimes not and sometimes the alarm starts going off randomly and won't stop.

I'm so over my car, it's not even funny. Next thing you know mine will start taking lessons from yours and begin looting through my stuff for the pocket change. Shady, shady car, lol.

What what in the butt!!!

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer That's horrible! I think maybe Tom was right about your car needing to have an exorcism. YIKES! I would be tempted to go all Old Yeller on it's ass.

How can the dealership not help you when your car is going insane? Just because they can't duplicate the problems doesn't mean they aren't there. Hello. Ever hear of the word intermittent? Just because a problem isn't constant doesn't mean it's not happening. Man. I feel your pain. That just sucks!