Ana's Reviews > Of Blood and Bone

Of Blood and Bone by Courtney Cole

Oct 21, 12

Read in September, 2012

So, the first thing you need to know is that this book is a departure from Courtney’s previous series. And what a departure it is! First of all, it’s an adult book with adult situations. It’s a dark mystery with some steamy romance. Oh, and let’s not forget murder, family curses and betrayals. Yup…it’s different! But in such a good way!

The characters are unique and well written, each with their own story to tell. Eva is finishing her dissertation in hopes of beginning her career as a psychiatrist. She’s a smart, independent woman who’s adventurous enough to move to a new country to continue her research. She’s intrigued by people and inexplicably drawn to Luca from their very first meeting. Luca is a handsome, successful, eligible bachelor with a dark side. He has not had an easy life but does not want anyone to know it. As part of the most famous family in Malta, he cannot risk having his secrets exposed. And, ultimately, he’s a mystery that Eva wants to solve. The secondary characters all play a part in adding to the twists and turns of the story and adding to the believability of the environment in which the story takes place.

My overall thoughts are simple. The first person narrative was great, it let me feel closer to the characters and get inside their thoughts and feelings. The alternating POV’s was a wonderful way to tell the story. I always like to “hear” what everyone is thinking and we don’t get that often enough in books. Luca and the mystery surrounding him was delicious. I wanted him to be good so badly, right from the beginning, but I also savored the unknown, trying to solve the mystery myself as I went along. The flow of the story was perfect. It was easy to read; effortless and smooth. And the ending…well, the ending was unexpected and left me with a need to know what will happen next.

Courtney has stepped out of her comfort zone, namely the YA and mythological worlds to tell the story of the Minaldi curse. Her writing, as always, draws you in. But in this case, it’s more straightforward and direct. Her characters are more real, more flawed and, in some cases, less likeable. The situations these characters find themselves in are not always pleasant and may make some readers uncomfortable. But, if you are prepared for some adult situations, romance and, yes, even some violence, it’s worth the trip into this world! Put aside what you think you know about this author and be prepared for something completely different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Blood and Bone.