Jackie's Reviews > A Hunger Like No Other

A Hunger Like No Other by Kresley Cole

Dec 27, 08

bookshelves: series, vamps-and-other-paranormal-pleasure, pleasure-reading
Read in December, 2008

I've been waiting and waiting for the chance to start this series. Alas, I was not as taken with it as I had hoped to be. I am not immune to erotic fiction, and I certainly love paranormal tales, but not like this. The first half of the book with it's hatred, denigration and imagined rape scenarios really just left me cold. I did, however, hang with it and eventually enjoyed the story once the main female character became less little girl in peril and more butt-kicking, self-confident woman. And I began to thaw toward the main male character, though I thought his character progression was not very skillfully handled--it seemed to skip some steps that made it seem even less likely a thing than the story line was allowing anyway. Let's just say I'm still not swooning to be his any time soon--Emma can keep him. And what really galled me throughout the book was the Valkrie characters, women who had pretty much every bad stereotype that's ever been pinned on a female: screeching, over-bearing, irrational, insane, covetous, materialistic and distractable by shiny things. Give me a freaking break! For supposedly ferocious warriors, they seemed more like comic relief. Bad comic relief. I own the second book in the series (violating my "try it before you buy all of it" rule somewhat), and may give Cole one last try, but I'm not going to be in any hurry to do so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hunger Like No Other.