Michelle Owens's Reviews > America's Women: 400 Years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates, and Heroines

America's Women by Gail Collins

Mar 17, 09

Read in March, 2009

This book is not something that I normally read. I usually prefer fiction, but I love History, and this book is full of it. I read a review of this a while back and thought that it looked really interesting.

The book teaches about the history of women. From the very first recorded woman to be born in America (Virginia Dare), to present day. It tells of how women have evolved in labor, fashion, to their roll in the home. Their triumphs, and failures. There is a lot to learn from this book. Most of the information, I never knew and a lot that I have forgotten about (Pocahontas).

One thing I learned about in this book is a woman names Sarah Josepha Hale. She wrote "Mary Had a Little Lamb". She was also the very first woman editor for the very first women's fashion magazine. When her husband died, she was 40 and pregnant with her seventh child. From the day he died to the day she died (another 54 years!) she wore black every day to mourn the loss of her husband.

This book is full of interesting tid bits all through the evolution of women. I highly recommend this book to everyone. It is very interesting, very well written, and full of great history. Although there is a little more than 600 pages, the reading moves very quickly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read America's Women.