Stuart's Reviews > The Richest Man in Babylon: The Original Version, Restored and Revised

The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason

Sep 02, 2012

liked it
I own a copy

What an odd little book ... Apparently it arises from a series of brochures on saving and investment produced by some American banks and insurance companies in the 1920s that were presented in the form of parables supposedly incised on clay tablets newly discovered in the archaeological dig at old Babylon, presumably because clay tablets were in the news at the time.

Much is made of the great wealth of Babylon and how easy it is to accumulate wealth if you will only follow the principles enunciated by the characters in the book. Ironically, while I was reading this book I also read an article in New Scientist about civilisations which collapsed because of climate change, one of which was the Akkadian Empire that included Babylon. So, watch out, even frugal saving and prudent investment wont save you if the climate goes down the gurgler.

That said, the financial advice is sound. It is much the same as you might get from Warren Buffett or your bank manager today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Richest Man in Babylon.