Fedora's Reviews > Just One of the Guys

Just One of the Guys by Kristan Higgins

U_50x66
Sep 03, 12

Read in September, 2012

Finally read something by Ms. Higgins and enjoyed it but didn't completely love it. She write very entertainingly and it's well done enough that I made it past the first person.

I wanted to like the heroine, Chastity, more than I did. She's not the typical girly girl, since she's grown up with four older brothers, all who have followed their dad's example of being very athletic and active and civic minded. While she's also super strong and athletic herself, she's also really tall and has fallen into acting like "one of the guys" so when she moves back to her little hometown and is ready to think about dating and settling down, the pool of available guys isn't all that big. Plus, she really isn't over a lifelong friendship/crush on her best friend that took an all-too-brief detour into lovers when they were in college. I usually really like all those things--a not too girly heroine with some self confidence issues and the in-love-with-your-best-friend thing. But I guess just like with real life people, other things about Chas I didn't end up loving and while I did love the whole large cast of supporting characters, I didn't love the secondary story about her divorced parents or the diverting relationship she pursued with a hunky if boring (except when having make-up sex or teaching self-defense classes) doctor (excuse me--trauma surgeon).

And while the big emotional reveal/I love you was kind of sweet, the setting for it made me question Trevor (the best friend/one she never got over)'s judgment and emotional maturity.

I guess it felt a little more chick-lit than romance, and so I'll approach Ms. Higgins's books with that in mind in the future... :)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just One of the Guys.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read That's the feeling I get as well - chick lit.

willaful Some of hers are more chick-litty than others. She's moved into more traditional romance with the last few, though oddly enough, I haven't liked them as much as some of her others.