Kristen (Peddler of Smut)'s Reviews > Tempt Me

Tempt Me by Olivia Cunning

Review posted to: Swept Away By Romance

1 1/2 to 2 stars

For me, this book was a waste of time. I should have just stop when I knew it wasn't working for me.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what's the point of this particular novella. I get that this series is a single night devoted to one of the Sole Regret's bandmates, but this book made little to no sense, as there was absolutely no resolution whatsoever at the end.

The book starts with what should have been a compelling and sexy plot, but ends up being anything but. Although the characters had depth (reason I gave it 2 stars), the story focused on the tedious repetition of the hero and heroine's insecure feelings, irrelevant conversation that should have progressed the plot but didn't, and copious amounts of sex.

As I mentioned in my status update, there's a lot of backdoor lovin' in this book. In fact, so much I started to wonder if the hero forgot he was with a girl and the heroine forgot she was a girl. So not my cuppa!

I was really looking forward to reading this book, but, unfortunately, Tempt Me ended up being a huge disappointment, for me anyway.
41 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempt Me.

09/20/2012
45.0% "Um... I get why this novella received low ratings by many of my friends. There's characters (sorta), and sex, and more sex, and even more sex. There's a lot of backdoor lovin'. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if the hero forgot he was with a girl. So not my cuppa!" 39 comments

message 1: by Bri (new)

Bri After Try Me, I've sworn off her stuff. I don't know if it's because these were self-pubbed or what, but they are just one giant sex pile with little to no story, conflict or resolution.

message 2: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Sep 20, 2012 08:22PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Bri wrote: "After Try Me, I've sworn off her stuff. I don't know if it's because these were self-pubbed or what, but they are just one giant sex pile with little to no story, conflict or resolution."

Exactly! This series feels more like a quick way to make money than giving the consumer a quality story.

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin Muses Nice review!

message 5: by Jenny E (new)

Jenny E I've been eyeing this one, but I think I'll pass now...thanks!

message 6: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Sep 20, 2012 09:05PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Jenny E wrote: "I've been eyeing this one, but I think I'll pass now...thanks!"

You're welcome. It's a great book if you want to read about anal sex (which I don't mind but, geez, this took it to a new level, for me anyway) and a broody Rock star.

message 9: by Nat (new)

Nat Nicely said and great review. I also sworn off her books after reading Try Me, her first book in this series because your review pretty much sum up that book too.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Thanks Autumn. This series isn't in the same class as the Sinners series that's for sure.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Kristen, I totally agree about Sinners on Tour being in a totally different class than this series. I'm not sure I'll read the next book.

I'm reading Double Time right now, book 3 of Sinners... but the publishers fecked that up by releasing it as book 3 when it's actually book 5. And they knew it!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I still can't beleive they released the books out of order. There will be parts of the book that won't make much sense because we're missing half the dang story. It's crazy and sad. I hope you're enjoying the book. Now, there's a story that I'm sure had a lot of backdoor lovin'. Lol.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick You knows, so far there has been no sex! And it works! Why? Because there is a story, and a darned good one!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Er...I will be avoiding the copious amounts of sex. Great review, Kristen!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Baba wrote: "Er...I will be avoiding the copious amounts of sex. Great review, Kristen!"

Haha. Yeah, this ones just too much of one thing and not enough of everything else. Thanks Baba.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "You knows, so far there has been no sex! And it works! Why? Because there is a story, and a darned good one!"

Whoa! Talk about night and day difference between books!

Kathleen Fantastic Review Kristen. I loved how you told it like you saw it and I totally agree with you.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Kathleen wrote: "Fantastic Review Kristen. I loved how you told it like you saw it and I totally agree with you."

Thank you, Kathleen. I was really hoping to like this one more than I did.

message 19: by Karla (new)

Karla Very well done Kristen!

message 20: by Wanderlust (new)

Wanderlust I was tempted to buy this, after reading your review it is a firm no. Thanks for the great review.

message 21: by Tara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tara Agree with your review! Too much @ssplay for this chickie and not enough story.

KindleRomance Reviews Very helpful review Kristen! Sounds like a pass for me.

KindleRomance Reviews Are these the same guy?
Easy by Tammara Webber Tempt Me (One Night with Sole Regret, #2) by Olivia Cunning

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Karla wrote: "Very well done Kristen!"

Thank you, Karla. :)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Shona wrote: "I was tempted to buy this, after reading your review it is a firm no. Thanks for the great review."

You're welcome, Shona. You never know, this book may work for you.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Kris (KindleRomance) wrote: "Very helpful review Kristen! Sounds like a pass for me."

Thanks Kris. There are teases that are good, and there are teases that are bad. This one is bad. The reader is just left hangin'.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Kris (KindleRomance) wrote: "Are these the same guy?
Easy by Tammara WebberTempt Me (One Night with Sole Regret, #2) by Olivia Cunning"

Yes. I believe it's the same guy. In fact, I think I've seen another book, other than the two pictured, with him on the cover. Not sure though.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Kris (KindleRomance) wrote: "Are these the same guy?

message 29: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne Great review Kristen! I'll be passing on this one.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Thanks KatLynne. Yeah, this one wasn't great. I'm am, however, looking forward to the next Sinners book. :)

message 31: by Ally (new)

Ally Thanks! I think I might pass on this book now as it doesn't sound appealing to me either.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Thanks Ally. The novella didn't work for me but it could for you. I know some liked it.

message 33: by Ally (new)

Ally Yeah it seems to have mixed reviews. I don't mind reading about sex but if it lacks a decent storyline and has little character development then I feel cheated.

message 34: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Sep 23, 2012 02:08PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Ally wrote: "Yeah it seems to have mixed reviews. I don't mind reading about sex but if it lacks a decent storyline and has little character development then I feel cheated."

This book does have a storyline and the characters are wonderfully developed. It's just that the story go nowhere. Instead of resolving the major issues, there's lots of talk and lots and lots of sex. The author ends the novella before anything can be resolved. If you want to know what happens next, you have to buy this couples next novella. The next novella in the series will probably mention this couple, but if the reader wants to find out what happens to each couple, then they will have to buy that couples next novella. Does that make sense? It wouldn't be such a big deal to buy 3 or more novella for each of the couples, but each novella is priced at $3.

message 35: by Taryn at My Secret Romance (last edited Sep 23, 2012 03:02PM) (new)

Taryn at My Secret Romance Kristen, thank you for your review. Here is another book that I almost took the plunge on and would have been upset in the end. I've held off on this author for a while now for unknown reason...I don't know if I'll ever read her books.

message 36: by Kristen (Peddler of Smut) (last edited Sep 23, 2012 03:11PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Thanks Taryn. I really like her Sinners series. You might want to give those books a try some time. Olivia Cunning is by far is the best author in writing books about rock stars. Her books feel very authentic to the lifestyle. Shockingly so, in fact. I think the reason a lot have rated this book lower is because we just wanted more than what we were give. I don't think I'll continue this series, but I will the Sinners and her new series she's planning to release soon.

message 37: by Ally (new)

Ally Yeah that makes sense. I made a similar mistake with a serialised novel recently which is $2.50 for each one. It's a great story but it's costly to read the whole thing!

message 39: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Ally wrote: "Yeah that makes sense. I made a similar mistake with a serialised novel recently which is $2.50 for each one. It's a great story but it's costly to read the whole thing!"

That's just plain cheeky IMO. I've seen a couple of books that are serialised novels, priced just below a full-length novel, but which just kinda end in the middle of nowhere, and I have to say that I don't like it. When I buy a book, I expect there to be some kind of resolution by the last page (or by 100% on my kindle), and if I'm left hanging in space I personally find it guaranteed to turn me off from buying the next one.

It feels like I'm being cheated.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Ruth wrote: "Ally wrote: "Yeah that makes sense. I made a similar mistake with a serialised novel recently which is $2.50 for each one. It's a great story but it's costly to read the whole thing!"

That's just ..."

That's how I feel too.

message 41: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Kristen wrote: "Ruth wrote: "Ally wrote: "Yeah that makes sense. I made a similar mistake with a serialised novel recently which is $2.50 for each one. It's a great story but it's costly to read the whole thing!"
..."

Honestly, the first time I read one of these, I thought the file hadn't downloaded properly to my kindle... Whatta rip off!!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) The ending was disappointing for sure.

Sandra I had high hopes for this one.. the ending was kinda a WTH moment. I want to know what happens , ya know, like will there be a HEA.. ..

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Sandy wrote: "I had high hopes for this one.. the ending was kinda a WTH moment. I want to know what happens , ya know, like will there be a HEA.. .."

Yep! I feel the same way.

message 45: by Maida (new) - rated it 1 star

Maida Great review! Furthermore, I found it disturbing that a recovering drug addict (Adam) would become romantically involved with his drug counselor (Maddie) while he was still in rehab!!! It was beyond unhealthy & unethical. I just had so many issues with this novella... and I felt that this couple was both immature & irresponsible. Maddie should have assigned him to "another" drug counselor, since it's apparent that her professionalism is being compromised AND he's still battling his substance abuse issues. :(

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I agree with you completely, Maida. The whole drug counselor/ addict romance felt wrong.