Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Teeth

Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz

I make no secret of the fact that I love Moskowitz’s work with the power of a thousand Beiber fans except I don’t need to suspend my disbelief in Moskowitz’s ability.

Teeth is a heartbreaking novel about a lonely boy and an even lonelier magic fish boy. On an island there is a secret. The fish there are magic and they can keep you alive from even the most serious illness. Rudy moves there with his family for is brother’s sake, but things aren’t as simple as they seem when he meets Teeth.

As I’ve come to expect from Moskowitz, the writing is nothing short of spectacular and the characterization, Oh! The characterization! Here is a quote from my review of her book Gone, Gone, Gone about her characterization:

“Well and truly it is the intense char­ac­ter­i­za­tion of Craig and Lio that make this novel. Clearly Moskowitz doesn’t just do char­ac­ter­i­za­tion. She DOES char­ac­ter­i­za­tion. You know. Like, when she writes a char­ac­ter – that char­ac­ter has been writ­ten. That character KNOWS it’s been written. That character will probably tell all it’s friends about that time it was written really well. Then it will compare all other writings to the writing that Moskowitz gave it. Thoroughly.”

That is as true in Teeth as it was in Gone, Gone, Gone. Teeth and Rudy are incredibly complex characters – amazingly flawed and dysfunctional. Lonely, desperate, passionate, broken and utterly charming.

But the themes in Teeth are significantly darker than they were in Gone, Gone, Gone, making me hesitant to recommend it to those unable to cope with issues of serious and repetitive sexual abuse. Teeth is dark. Teeth is very, very gothic and depressing and sad. Sometimes I wondered if it was too sad, too dark, too emotive. There’s very little cheer and fun to be had in it. But it turns out it’s just the right amount of dark, sad and emotive for me because I still loved it.

And if you love Moskowitz, it is likely that her ability to make you feel, to illicit a remarkable amount of empathy for her characters, to bare their soul to you – is one of the biggest attractions. That is what you consistently get with Moskowitz – so if you’re up for another beautifully written tale with a fresh bunch of characters waiting to make your heart bleed, then this is for you. If you’re in the mood for something that will make you laugh and feel good, then maybe you’re better off moving along.

And, people, when you do make it to the end of this book, just remember, I’m here for you.

don't give up, brah

*An ARC was provided to me by the publisher. No gifts, favours or money was exchanged for this review.

This review also appears on my blog, Cuddlebuggery Book Blog.
132 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teeth.

sunset shimmer Hope you'll love this as much as I did.

Kat Kennedy I already do love it.

message 3: by Leodora (new) - added it

Leodora Murphy Holy shitcakes, that's a lot of emotion in one review! Kat are you okay?

Kat Kennedy I admit that the author had to talk me down off a cliff after reading this book.

message 5: by Leodora (new) - added it

Leodora Murphy Wow.. But awesome she's written a book with that big of an impact. Kudos. :)

message 6: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome

message 7: by Dylan (new) - added it

Dylan Tomorrow Tĥat's alot of feels! ^ Sounds too emotionally volatile for me :D.

message 8: by LizzieBCT (last edited Jan 23, 2013 04:07PM) (new) - added it

LizzieBCT I'm a baby when it comes to books like that.....I'm going to read it :3

Rebecca This book has the ultimate, definitive bittersweet ending. If you look up bittersweet ending in the dictionary, you see this book's cover, I swear.

Giselle Yay! I keep hearing great things about this one!

Kat Kennedy So true, Becca!

I hope you like it, Giselle!

message 12: by Aimen (new)

Aimen *Vampire Bookworm* OMG HILARIOUS review! Definitely emotional I can tell! :) This was awesome ;)

message 13: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose Great pre-review Kat. Very few books have the ability to make me cry, and I was definitely weeping in parts of this and at the end.

message 14: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen That makes me both frightened and excited to read this book...

Kat Kennedy Haha thanks!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

It moved me too. Awesome review. :D

message 18: by Cambria (new)

Cambria im pretty sure this just made my day..

message 19: by Dylan (last edited Sep 10, 2012 04:09PM) (new) - added it

Dylan Tomorrow Now that I've read chapter one from the author's blog I am even more pissed how long I have to wait for Teeth to come out :D! Also, I've decided I just have to read it, feels be damned :D.

message 20: by Ivy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ivy best review...ever....period.

message 21: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Dalton Hum I'm a sucker for emotional roller coasters Might have to read this one now

Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship While this review is one of your best that I've read, I really preferred the original pictographic one. Guess that's just me but it had Neil Patrick Harris in it!

message 23: by Dylan (last edited Jan 18, 2013 04:46AM) (new) - added it

Dylan Tomorrow Fantastic full review. I am not finished, but I am three quarters through and already too depressed to continue, so I've stalled it for the time being. Those feels, it hurts! :( T_T I already need a support group!

Utterly concur on her amazing characterization. She is so unbelievably good at that and in giving us the complex taste of those characters through their dialogue and through their inner monologues.

But man, I hope she ever writes something more tonally close to Gone, Gone, Gone in the future. Because Teeth is very close to too dark for me to stand. And given her stellar writing, I would just hate to miss out on stuff by her because of it being to dark and painful to stomach ...

Please don't fall for the temptation of grimdark, Hannah Moskowitz. It would suck and the world would miss out on your gritty, yet hopeful writing (like in GGG) that I honestly find better than Teeth, where the drama comes close to contrived way to many times.

—Ooops, what a rant! :D I shall save it for later use in my review! ^^

archdandy I made it to the end, I need a shoulder to cry on *wipes tears*

Kat Kennedy *holds* I know. I know.

Kynthos-the-Archer Great review. Gonna try this out.

message 27: by Ina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ina M. I'm over halfway though it and I can't begin to describe how much I love this book! I think I might have found out about it through your review (it was one of the blogs I follow), so if it was, massive thanks! And I'll come to you when I've finished :P

message 28: by Jennavier (new)

Jennavier Thanks for the heads up about sexual abuse! That's a real trigger for me and I hate stumbling across it.