Leslie's Reviews > Palace of Stone

Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale

F 50x66
Sep 02, 12

Read in September, 2012

4.5 stars! I loved this book. I love Shannon Hale. I love Miri. I read Hale's blog every once in a while, and she has mentioned several times that the key to her writing is rewriting and rewriting and rewriting. She is constantly cutting and chopping away at her words, getting rid of everything extraneous until only the most important parts are left. You can certainly feel that in this book. Every sentence has been well thought out; every word makes a difference. I almost felt rushed in the first chapter or two, but as I kept going I appreciated her efforts to get right to the meat of the story. And boy do I love her stories. I love to see her characters develop in unpredictable ways. I love how she ties up every lose end and makes every detail matter by the last page. I love how she persuades you to think one way about something (because that's the way the character sees it), but by the end you have completely changed your mind, or had your mind opened up to a new possibility altogether, because the character has gone through that process. And I want to go through this book and its predecessor and take notes on some of the curriculum her characters learn! The rules of Conversation and Rhetoric have actually been really well thought out! Maybe I've just read too many books that resemble first drafts (or maybe as an editor I just SEE too many books that resemble first drafts), but I SO appreciate all the thought and effort that so obviously went into this book. This book is the first one in probably nine or ten years that I've purchased without reading first, instead of waiting to get it from the library. So worth it.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Palace of Stone.