di's Reviews > Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Breaking Free of Warren Jeffs

Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall

Dec 21, 2008

liked it
Read in December, 2008

I gave this book a 3 because while the story was compelling (very much so), I found the writing lacking. I'm a poet at heart, and I want books that use words in ways that make me sing. Or think. Or look at the world in a new way. In this case words are simply used to tell the story, and you can tell the author is 20 years old. I longed for concrete details, for imagery, for...something that just wasn't there.

Still...I couldn't put it down because, after all, it was history happening practically in my backyard. Growing up Mormon in Utah, I heard "things" about polygamists. Mostly I try to keep an open mind and give people the benefit of the doubt. I even had mixed feelings when law enforcement got involved last year in Texas. Oh my gosh. Had I known...we had a Jim Jones, a Mao in our own community. Warren Jeffs called himself a "benevolent dictator." You could drop the benevolent part and it would be about right. I'm only glad that he is put away now. I find it difficult to understand how people get caught in these traps, but this book grew my understanding. Over all, if you have an interest in stories of oppressed women, or mind control, or tales of great endurance, you will enjoy this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen Innocence.

12/21/2008 page 32
7.31% "I became interested in this book last year when the whole thing happened in Texas. So far it is an interesting read..."