Monica Edinger's Reviews > Ain't Nothing but a Man: My Quest to Find the Real John Henry

Ain't Nothing but a Man by Scott Reynolds Nelson

221952
Dec 21, 08

bookshelves: nonfiction

Completely engaging. Gives a wonderful sense of the way a historian doggedly tracks down every possible source to find things out. Beautifully designed. The voice of Nelson is just right. I especially appreciated the captions for the photographs as too often an otherwise excellent work of nonfiction will be too skimpy about the art. I would imagine this book would really fire up some young history-buffs!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ain't Nothing but a Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Monica, I heard Nelson at the School Library Journal summit this year - he's got a website where he discusses more of the journey to find JH (he feels that this is the direction of more NF in the future: a passionate monograph with a website that allows readers to "follow along"). Bet your class would love it.

Monica Edinger Thanks! One thing I wondered was how much and exactly what Aronson had to do with the book. I really liked Nelson's voice, for instance. Was that really his or did Aronson have a major hand in it?