Erin's Reviews > Imagine: How Creativity Works

Imagine by Jonah Lehrer

Sep 02, 12

Read in September, 2012

I devoured this book and almost finished it weeks ago, until I was a bit disillusioned by recent developments in the life of Johah Lehrer. Nonetheless, I am still giving Imagine five stars because each and every page completely fascinated me.

Lehrer synthesized copious amounts of research on education, cognition, and sociology into a very clear breakdown of the human imagination. I'll just list a few of my favorite points.

*Moments of great insight most often occur during states of relaxation when gamma rhythms are surging through the brain. Thinking in the shower after studying or trying to write something is actually a very good idea.

*Often creative breakthroughs occur after one has failed, or given up. Before Bob Dylan wrote his breakthrough album, he had completely given up on music composition, believing himself to be a charlatan. He abandoned his guitar and sought isolation.

*Our traditional education system does not nurture creativity. Students who are considered the most disruptive (and therefore censored), are actually exhibiting traits that align with ingenuity.

*Certain societies are set up to yield many talented individuals . . . . like Elizabethan England.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imagine.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabe (new)

Gabe ooh- i'm excited to read this one!... and also anxious to read the 3rd harry potter :-)

Erin You mean Hunger Games:)??

message 3: by Gabe (new)

Gabe wow- i sure did, that must have been a freudian slap