Ronyell's Reviews > Blue-Eyed Devil

Blue-Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas

Sep 08, 12

bookshelves: 1st-person-pov, aar-top-100-romance-books-2010, contemporary-romance, lisa-kleypas, sexy-bad-boy-hero, sexy-good-girl-heroine, adult-book, my-blog-reviews, ronyell-s-epinions-reviews
Recommended for: Lisa Kleypas fans!!!
Read from September 02 to 07, 2012

Wow! Can I officially say that “Blue-Eyed Devil” by Lisa Kleypas has now become one of my top contemporary romance novels of all time next to “Kiss An Angel?” “Blue-Eyed Devil” is the second book in Lisa Kleypas popular “Travises” series and this time, it stars the sister in the family, Haven Travis and the former bad-boy, Hardy Cates! “Blue-Eyed Devil” is a truly mesmerizing book that has drama, secrets and forbidden love rolled into one novel!

Haven Travis is the only sister in the famous and filthy rich Travis family and she is known to have a mind of her own. However, when Haven ends up marrying a man named Nick who she believed was her true love only to discover too late about his abusive ways, she believes that she may never find true love ever again. However years later, Haven meets Hardy Cates, her sister in law Liberty’s former love interest and enemy of her family and she will soon discover that not only does she start developing feelings for him, but she will soon uncover his dark past that will change her world forever.

Oh my goodness! This book really set my heart up in flames! “Blue-Eyed Devil” is certainly a huge improvement from the first book Sugar Daddy as we get to learn more about the characters in this book (especially about Haven Travis!) Lisa Kleypas has done a brilliant job at developing a story that was quite unusual for any romance novel, but was still able to produce enough drama and romance that really made my heart flutter! What I mean by how this novel was quite unusual for a romance novel is that the story starts off with Haven being abused by her former husband Nick and this was the first romance novel that I had read that dealt with the subject matter of domestic abuse and it really made this story much more relatable to any reader who had also suffered through domestic abuse. I also loved the fact that Lisa Kleypas provided facts and helpful websites that would help the reader really understand the nature of domestic abuse and how to deal with them, which really helped me understand more about domestic violence. Now, onto the characters of this book! Haven Travis was just an amazing heroine throughout this book as she had to go through domestic abuse caused by her former husband and for awhile, she could not trust anyone with her issues and was afraid to get close to any man she had contact with. I actually found myself sympathizing so much with Haven’s situation as domestic abuse happens so much in real life and I was hoping throughout this story that she would find someone who can truly understand the horror she been through and be able to heal her pain. I also loved the way that Lisa Kleypas made Haven Travis into a strong and independent woman as she may have suffered through a terrible ordeal, but she still tries to move on with her life. Now, I am going to start getting all flirty whenever I am talking about Hardy Cates, the hero of the story, since he has become one of my most favorite romance heroes of all time! Hardy Cates has come a long way from the first book “Sugar Daddy” as he was Liberty’s former love interest and had become an enemy of the Travis family after his stunt in “Sugar Daddy.” However, Hardy Cates was probably the best character in this book as he may be the dangerous and sexy bad-boy that people would warn you to not get near, but he truly shows how much he cared about Haven and how he tries to help her through the ordeal she went through. Also, it would not hurt to mention that the fact that Hardy Cates is muscular, large and sexy all around just really makes me feel all giddy inside!

Sexy Cowboy

Since this novel discusses about domestic abuse and gives vivid detail about the abuse that Haven has suffered at the hands of her former husband, some readers who do not like reading about such subject matter might feel a bit uncomfortable reading this novel and they might want to see if they can handle such subject matter before reading this book. Also, this book has many scenes that detail explicit sex and they might want to skim over these sex scenes if they feel uncomfortable about them.

Overall, “Blue-Eyed Devil” is definitely one romance novel that you have to check out and I am definitely looking forward to the next book in the “Travis” series Smooth Talking Stranger!

Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue-Eyed Devil.

Quotes Ronyell Liked

Lisa Kleypas
“He liked cheap women, fast cars, late nights, and hard liquor, especially all together. In Jack's view, you are obliged to sin on Saturday night so you'd have something to atone for Sunday morning. Otherwise, you'd be putting the preacher out of business. ”

Lisa Kleypas
“One of the blessings human beings take for granted is the ability to remember pain without re-feeling it. The pain of the physical wounds is long gone …and the other kind of hurt, the damage done to our spirits, has been healed. We are careful with those scarred places in each other. ”

Lisa Kleypas
“I no longer believed in the idea of soul mates, or love at first sight. But I was beginning to believe that a very few times in your life, if you were lucky, you might meet someone who was exactly right for you. Not because he was perfect, or because you were, but because your combined flaws were arranged in a way that allowed two separate beings to hinge together.”

Lisa Kleypas
“I'm not that complicated, Haven. The truth is, I've wanted you ever since I met you in that damned wine cellar. Because I got a bigger charge out of that five minutes than I have with any woman before or since...”

Lisa Kleypas
“What you should really be sorry for," he continued, "is that for the rest of my life, I'll have to avoid wine cellars to keep from thinking about you."
"Why? Was kissing me that bad?"
A devil-solf whisper. "No sweetheart. It was that good.”

Lisa Kleypas
“I had to admit the man looked amazing in jeans. The ancient denim clung lightly to his hips and followed the long lines of some remarkable thigh muscles. And although I made a point of not checking out his rear view, my peripheral vision was having a very good day.” ~ Haven Travis on Hardy Cates”

Lisa Kleypas
“But sometimes normal just isn't happening. Sometimes crazy feels too good to resist.”

09/02/2012 page 40
12.0% "Chapter 1 - Chapter 3: Wow! Hardy comes back into the Travises' lives and is already causing trouble!"
09/04/2012 page 110
34.0% "Chapter 3 - Chapter 5: Awww! Poor Haven... So glad she got help from Gage as soon as possible!" 2 comments
09/05/2012 page 150
45.0% "Chapter 5 - Chapter 8: I'm loving the relationship between Haven and Hardy so far!" 2 comments
09/06/2012 page 220
67.0% "Chapter 8 - Chapter 12: Uh oh! Haven's in trouble and it's Hardy to the rescue!!!"
09/07/2012 page 328
100.0% "Finished!! Review soon to come!!"

♡Karlyn P♡ Great review! I liked sugar daddy A lot, but i loved this one. Keep reading the series! The next one is awesome too!!

Ronyell ♡KarLynP♡ wrote: "Great review! I liked sugar daddy A lot, but i loved this one. Keep reading the series! The next one is awesome too!!"

Thanks KarlynP! I really can't wait to read Smooth Talking Stranger!! That sounds like a great book!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Wonderful review, Ronyell! I liked Sugar Daddy but I didn't love it either. Bottom line: I'm just not into chick-lit.

Blue-Eyed Devil is a great read and Hardy is an unforgettable hero. *le sigh* Glad you enjoyed it too! :-))

Auntee Nice review, Ronyell---couldn't agree with you more about Hardy!:)
Love the pic, too!;)

Shawna Great review, Ronyell! And I love the pic!

Ronyell Baba wrote: "Wonderful review, Ronyell! I liked Sugar Daddy but I didn't love it either. Bottom line: I'm just not into chick-lit.

Thanks Baba! I really enjoyed this book more than Sugar Daddy and now Hardy is one of my official favorite heroes!

Ronyell Auntee wrote: "Nice review, Ronyell---couldn't agree with you more about Hardy!:)
Love the pic, too!;)"

Thanks Auntee! This pic really defined Hardy for me!

Ronyell Shawna wrote: "Great review, Ronyell! And I love the pic!"

Thanks Shawna! I really love that pic too! *giggle!*

MelissaB Great review and sexy pic!

Ronyell MelissaB wrote: "Great review and sexy pic!"

Thanks Melissa!! That pic really defined Hardy! :D

Carol *Young at Heart Oldie* Wonderful review, Ronyell and love the picture! This is my favourite book in the Travis series, closely followed by Smooth Talking Stranger.

Ronyell Carol wrote: "Wonderful review, Ronyell and love the picture! This is my favorite book in the Travis series, closely followed by Smooth Talking Stranger."

Thanks Carol! I really loved this book too! Smooth Talking Stranger is getting really interesting so far!

Wendy Great review Ronyell! Loving the pic, grrrrrr sexy! ;)

Ronyell Wendy wrote: "Great review Ronyell! Loving the pic, grrrrrr sexy! ;)"

Thanks Wendy!! I just love this pic to death!!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Glad you enjoyed it, Ronyell. Love me some Hardy Cates!

Ronyell Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it, Ronyell. Love me some Hardy Cates!"

Me too!! Hardy is easily one of my most favorite heroes!!!