Ana's Reviews > Dark Promise

Dark Promise by Julia Crane

Oct 08, 12

Read from September 02 to 07, 2012

Now, I know exactly what you’ve been thinking since seeing Dark Promise‘s cover: Faeries. Spelled with an ‘e’, no less. Haven’t we been through this already? Haven’t we already familiarized ourselves with this supernatural element? Haven’t we already seen all there is to see when it comes to these winged beasts?

To answer your questions: yes. You’re right in every way of the word. Miss Crane and Miss Jager don’t actually have very much to add to the already abundantly overwrought YA faery world. I don’t think that there is much to add to it. Since that flying trend a while back, everything else faery is just more of the same.

What’s important to grasp here is that that’s okay. So you’ve seen all that faery jazz, so what? There’s a reason the fay became popular in the first place. And, hey, I’d take faeries any day over stalker-eyed mermaids. Besides, Dark Promise‘s supernatural realm involves gloomy castles, magical gardens, mysterious artwork, and– this is the fun part– one love-triangle-initiator who just happens to be tall, dark and handsome. Oh, and did I mention that this guy’s father kidnapped Rylie in adherence to his super evil plan? Oh, wait! This isn’t mutual attraction, this is Stockholm Syndrome!

But apart from that whole kidnappee-falls-for-kidnapper thing (otherwise known as a certifiable psychological affliction) and some minor characterization issues, I really did enjoy Dark Promise. It was a completely escapist no-brainer read, and everybody needs one of those once in a while. I’m giving it a sturdy 3.0/5 stars. This one is for the people who don’t automatically roll their eyes when they see “faery” spelled with the ‘e’.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Promise.