All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Night's Darkest Embrace

Feb 13, 13

bookshelves: earc, reviewed-by-kate
Read in February, 2013

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

I worry when reading anything less than a full length novel that I won’t feel satisfied with a conclusion that comes sooner than I’d like. This wasn’t the case with NIGHT’S DARKEST EMBRACE. Frost’s story was a lovely little romp through a brand new universe, one I wouldn’t mind revisiting in the future.

The world Frost has created, in which part demons can move between dimensions, is a large departure from her Night Huntress world, but that doesn’t make it any less intriguing. The world building was very smooth and I found it was easy to just slip right into the story. Plus, although there were only brief appearances of a few other characters, they were so well written I wished they would have stuck around longer.

While I won’t deny that it is a “red-hot” tale as the description asserts, in my opinion it’s mostly a mystery. The short form works to its advantage, allowing for a little less detail than the reader may expect and making it hard to predict the eventual twist that resolved the heroine Mara’s, dilemma. As for the sexy Raphael? Though there is a bit of the slightly irritating “he’s so hot I don’t care if he’s bad” internal monologue on the part of Mara, the scenes with him don’t disappoint either.

NIGHT’S DARKEST EMBRACE was a fun and quick read. I enjoyed it so much I wouldn’t have minded if it had been a full length book- though the conflict was resolved by the end of the story, I found myself wishing it wasn’t over yet. I’m disappointed that she hasn’t written anything else in this setting or with these characters, but luckily I have a whole shelf of Cat and Bones to console me.

Sexual Content:
Multiple sex scenes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night's Darkest Embrace.