Holly's Reviews > Animal Magnetism

MF, Contemporary
Finished 9/2/12
B&N ebook, $7.99
Overall: 1 star, Heat: Vanilla

There wasn’t much conflict here. I think I know how the author wanted it to play out: two damaged adults who avoid romantic commitment yet long for hot night action decide to have a one-month, no strings sex fest and end up falling in love. Brady has no roots and Lilah cares for rescued animals, but there wasn’t enough information about their histories to make me really interested in why they can’t get together. We know Lilah has been hurt in the past, but we don’t find out by whom or why until the end of the book and by that point, I don’t really care. In fact, it was held out for so long that I was expecting something really heavy and over the top, then it was given the two paragraphs it deserved and we moved on. We know Brady never stays put for long but he acknowledges that he will want to someday. So what’s stopping him? Why does he feel compelled to continue doing what he does? I don’t really know! And I want to know. Or, I did want to know. Now, I’m not all that invested and don’t care that much.

Another thing. This sentence: “The water was a sheet of glass, a shade of blue beyond description.” I started the next sentence expecting Shalvis’s attempt to describe the blue of the lake, but no – no description. Just “beyond description.” Isn’t that why I’m reading the book? To read descriptions? At least give me something. Blue like the sky? Blue like those fake created sapphires? Blue like the lips on a corpse? Blue like what?! So irritating!

I thought the animals were adorable (I’m a sucker for animals), but I probably won’t be buying another of Shalvis’s books for a while.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal Magnetism.