Sue's Reviews > Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder

Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv

F 50x66
Sep 23, 12

Read from September 02 to 23, 2012

ok, this book took he whole summer to read between trips to the UP and home, and then dragging home to finish the last 50 pages. BUT, this piecemeal approach wasn't a detractor. There is so much to think about here that reading in small doses allows the brain to think and ponder. And realize I'm not being the best parent and passing along my love of the outdoors to my son as well as I could. Now, I'm not planning on adding this to the ever growing "to-do" list, but it is an overarching concept to encourage him to go outside and PLAY. He needs to do this, not just me.

I appreciate the discussion about playgrounds, and the litigious battles of outdoor play, fear of strangers, etc. Our adult fears put upon us by media. Sigh. Yes, some are valid. Most are not. Playgrounds are great. So is a field. I'm reminded of my Outward Bound solo along the Colorado river. 48 hours attached to a spot of land. Watching. Observing. I still have clear images of that land 19 years later. Nature is terribly important. No technology in the world can recreate what the earth has given us (large scale) naturally. It's here now. It's ours to protect and utilize. Our souls need it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Child in the Woods.