John's Reviews > Skipping Christmas

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham

Dec 21, 2008

did not like it
Read in December, 2008

** spoiler alert ** This review contains spoilers because this book is not worth reading. You have been warned.

The book portrays the over-the-top commercialism that many people live every day, but even more so at Christmas time. A couple tries to skip Christmas and spend the money on a cruise instead. They are ridiculed by their neighbors, office workers, and friends. Everything is going fine until a surprise Christmas Eve phone call from their daughter, who has been in Peru for a month, that she is returning home for Christmas with her fiance. The wife start an emergency Christmas, blaming her husband for not having Christmas this year. They decide to not tell their daughter about the cruise and stay home for Christmas. They pull it off Christmas and give the cruise to their neighbor, whose wife has cancer and doesn't have long to live.

The couple gave in to their adult daughter and protected her from knowing about their plans. They should have told their daughter that they were grateful for her visit, but they had different plans this year and would be leaving on Christmas Day for a cruise. Instead, they reacted like parents of a toddler that throws a tantrum in the store, "BUY ME SOME CANDY!". Children, especially adult children, need to learn that the world does not revolve around them.

The wife should not have blamed her husband for not having Christmas. She was in agreement about the cruise. While it was harder for her to skip Christmas, she did it willingly. She and her husband are equally responsible for this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skipping Christmas.

06/23/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan I don't think you have children. if you did, you would understand that it was most important for this couple to spend Christmas with their daughter. they wanted to have all the traditions their daughter was expecting to be able to show her fiance. she would have understood if they had to explain why things were different. the next most important part was having the neighborhood pull together to provide the party she was expecting. oh well......

message 2: by Pappy (new) - added it

Pappy I have children and I agree completely with the review. I was on Luther's side the whole time and think they should have been up-front and honest to their daughter and still went on the cruise.

cloudyskye I agree with John. I haven't got any children but I was a child once myself, firstborn of four. So I was just getting more and more annoyed with this spoilt brat of an only child and her doormat pushover parents.

Roberta Lighten up. It's fiction for crying out loud. I initially thought the same thing. Just tell her your plans. She's a big girl; she can handle it. But see, then there wouldn't be a story.

cloudyskye Roberta wrote: "But see, then there wouldn't be a story."

And how would that be a bad thing?
It's not like there are no better stories around.

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Quigley Since you have spoilers, why not be polite and hide the review?

Tom Tabasco God I cannot stand people who say "you clearly don't have children, otherwise you would understand all the great things that I understand....". Parents, try to relax. You live in the same world as everybody else, and you're not better. Actually, if you spoil your children, you are not doing a favour to anyone.